Advice on natural incubation

GerobakAyam

Chirping
Apr 6, 2020
Hi I have a male khaki campbell and four female golden 300z.
The female have been laying eggs. They are about 6-8 months old. I want to start trying to get them naturally hatch their eggs and have new ducklings.

Can you all please share some tips, pointers how to do it?
Do I just stop collecting the eggs for 1-2 months?
How can I know they are broody?
Currently they seems like just keep their eggs in the coop, and spend the whole day outside. I brought them to the coop every night and they laid their eggs there.

Thank you in advance.

Can you all please share some tips, pointers how to do it?
Do I just stop collecting the eggs for 1-2 months?
How can I know they are broody?
You can't make ducks or chickens go broody.
It's a hormonal thing. Either they will or they won't.
Some things that coincide with the switch getting flipped are:
- the keeping arrangements. The more natural the more likely a broody will develop.
- heat. The warmer it is, the more broodies you end up with.

You can try leaving FAKE eggs in a nest and making up a plush ground nest in a secure, semi-private location to encourage a broody to take up there. But you want to collect all fresh eggs every day. Never knowingly permit a staggered hatch.

If one goes broody, they will set on the nest and not get off except for once a day to relieve themselves, eat, drink and preen. And they will hiss at you and flatten themselves out over the nest and maybe bite at you if you try to slip your hand under them to check for eggs.

Some say breed can affect broodiness but I've had nearly all chicken breeds go broody. Ducks are likely the same way.

You can't make ducks or chickens go broody.
It's a hormonal thing. Either they will or they won't.
Some things that coincide with the switch getting flipped are:
- the keeping arrangements. The more natural the more likely a broody will develop.
- heat. The warmer it is, the more broodies you end up with.

You can try leaving FAKE eggs in a nest and making up a plush ground nest in a secure, semi-private location to encourage a broody to take up there. But you want to collect all fresh eggs every day. Never knowingly permit a staggered hatch.

If one goes broody, they will set on the nest and not get off except for once a day to relieve themselves, eat, drink and preen. And they will hiss at you and flatten themselves out over the nest and maybe bite at you if you try to slip your hand under them to check for eggs.

Some say breed can affect broodiness but I've had nearly all chicken breeds go broody. Ducks are likely the same way.
Thanks Dobielover!
I am not trying to make them broody, but just trying to figure out how can I know they are broody. I believe you told me the signs too. Thank you!

So meanwhile if they are not broody, I can use the incubator, correct?
If they hatch, can I just put the ducklings to the flocks?

Do you have a plan for what you will do with excess males? My one duck that goes broody had her first clutch of six males, one female. Second clutch also had only one female. This year I removed her eggs before she could hatch them. It is too difficult to find homes for drakes in my area.

Do you have a plan for what you will do with excess males? My one duck that goes broody had her first clutch of six males, one female. Second clutch also had only one female. This year I removed her eggs before she could hatch them. It is too difficult to find homes for drakes in my area.
This has to be the year of the drakes. i cqved and let my Muscovy sit on 2 Runners eggs, you guessed it both drakes. So no more hatching from here. I just received 4 females Indian Runner ducklings to make sure I have enough girls. which gives me 3 Runner drakes and 14 females. And that is still cutting it close.

Back
Top Bottom