Advise about what to feed my girls

Miss DiDi

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2022
Vail, AZ
So, I was mixing half scratch and half layer (walmart brand) and the girls seemed to be doing well and I was getting quite a few eggs - enough to share but this last fall several of my girls started into their first and a very hard molt. (I think the girls are 3 - maybe pushing 4) Egg production went down, too. So, I switched to only layer crumble in their feeder. BUT they prefer the scratch; they must have the scratch they say! AND they waste alot of the crumble but will NOT eat any pelleted feed. I've raised some brats, I think. I would like to know what you all are feeding your flocks. I have 11 hens, 1 rooster. I was mixing my own feed for a short while but, my, that was expensive! They have a run that is about 20'x40' and a 4x8' hen house. (after reading some of the other threads on here, I will be checking for mites as the girls are not growing back their feathers even still 😭😭) Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm afraid I may be over thinking this... I've been told I do that.

thumbnail_IMG_7921.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7922.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7923.jpg

They're just spoiled by the free access to the tasty, yet bad for them scratch.
They'll eat when they're hungry. Leave them feed and ignore them. Don't give in.
The lack of feathers is from their formally unhealthy diet, they need proper nutrition and protein, if the diet is low protein they'll pick each other for the feathers.
Since you have a rooster, you need a low calcium feed like flock raiser or starter feed with calcium on the side for the girls.
You want at least 18% protein.

We have 16 hens and 2 roosters. Their food is Purina Flock Raiser crumble, which they love. The flock free ranges most days and we give 2-3 tablespoons of scratch for the flock to share as a reward for returning to the run in the evening many of those days (if they are already in the run they get nothing 😂).
To cut down on waste, we set their plastic feeders in large rubber feed pans. So far that is working very well🙂

We have 16 hens and 2 roosters. Their food is Purina Flock Raiser crumble, which they love. The flock free ranges most days and we give 2-3 tablespoons of scratch for the flock to share as a reward for returning to the run in the evening many of those days (if they are already in the run they get nothing 😂).
To cut down on waste, we set their plastic feeders in large rubber feed pans. So far that is working very well🙂
When I tried to use a pan, the idiots tried to dust bathe in it. :lol:
I hang my feeders chicken chest so they can't kick feed out.

Mine won't eat dry pellets either. Just layer mash dry and scratch. But as mentioned, scratch isn't great for anything other than a treat. Far too low in protien and micro nutrients.

But if I soak the pellet into a mush. They love it. You could try that and see if they find it more appealing. It only takes 5 minutes. It may enable them to get more of it into themselves and increase their protein and healing.

Flock raiser crumble is often available in higher protien levels also. I've seen them as high as 22%. Turns to mush just like a pellet.

And definitely provide shell grit.

Get yourself some Purina Flock Raiser, or something similar like Dumor All Flock. Your rooster cannot take the high levels of calcium found in the layer feed, and your whole flock will benefit from the higher protein of the all-flock feed because it helps feathers grow and helps support the rooster's larger body mass. Have some oyster shell (can get at any feed store) on the side for the hens, and you're good to go.

I'd stop feeding all scratch and treats for a little while until they get acclimated to the new feed. Be patient. They'll come along. Then once they are used to the feed and are no longer protesting, you can add some treats back in. Just make sure it's no more than 5-10% of their diet. Otherwise you're taking away from important nutrients they get from normal feed.

Edited to ask: is it just on their backs where the hens aren't growing feathers back? If so, maybe it's the rooster being a little rough on them. They make "aprons" you can put on the hens to protect them while the feathers grow back in.

Back
Top Bottom