Aggresive muscovies

010priceb

Hatching
Apr 27, 2021
Hi can anyone please help us!!! We have 5 muscovies 3 girls and 2 boys. Both of are boys are really aggresive and i dont know what to do anymore, the youngest one is by far the worst i have tried everything with him what people say works online, pinning him down, putting him on his back, walking round with a brush, no matter what i do he will literally not stop attacking me. I just dont know were to turn because im really scared if he is rehomed someone will just butcher him. There must be something we can do to stop it

Attachments

• 2DC97FF1-E6A5-4785-9979-9259E4C167AC.jpeg
    2DC97FF1-E6A5-4785-9979-9259E4C167AC.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 13
Hi can anyone please help us!!! We have 5 muscovies 3 girls and 2 boys. Both of are boys are really aggresive and i dont know what to do anymore, the youngest one is by far the worst i have tried everything with him what people say works online, pinning him down, putting him on his back, walking round with a brush, no matter what i do he will literally not stop attacking me. I just dont know were to turn because im really scared if he is rehomed someone will just butcher him. There must be something we can do to stop it
Where are you located?

I've not seen that type of human aggression from any of my drakes, but I don't handle mine. I think once bad behaviors like that set in there's no changing them.

There is always too many male poultry, so most will get turned into food just because there aren't enough homes.

Hopefully someone who has dealt with this will help out. Sorry.

It's mating seasons and hormones are raging. Males will become more territorial during this time. I'd wait to see if he settles down once it gets into late summer.

Do you only have the 5 ducks? For two drakes you should have at least 6 females. Not enough females can lead to the girls getting severely hurt. Not enough ladies may be another factor of the overall aggression.

I've found that with every year my drake's get a little more hormonal. That being said only 2 drakes to 3 hens is a recipe for hormonal aggression.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I've only ever seen human aggressive drake's in cases where they imprinted on humans and were handled a lot as ducklings.

When my Muscovy drake is aggressive with me[hormones] I turn the hose on him full blast. I don't hit him in the face but the strong stream of water stops him and he leaves me alone for a while. If he starts again he gets it again. he is 11 yrs old now and still has these hormone episodes which last from March till now. He is settling down though. Maybe try the hose if nothing else is working.
PS My drake was raised by me because his mama rejected him.

I have a muscovy drake -- he's a year old, rescue -- that attacks my feet. I really don't know what sets him off. He can come shooting out of the coop in the morning and go straight for my feet. Or he can be quite normal when he comes out in the morning but go for my feet next time he sees me. I keep a dogcrate on my patio. If the drake attacks my feet, he is picked up and put straight in the dog crate. He only needs to be in there for 30 seconds. When I open the door -- generally after a few minutes -- he comes out contrite and does not attack my feet.

I recommend that you try putting your drake in a dogcrate for time out, immediately after he attacks you. I would leave him there for 10 minutes, initially. If this works, you might find that like mine you only need to leave him in for a shorter time

Back
Top Bottom