Aggressive behavior or pecking order?

Bray1709

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2023
I’m new here and have been searching for answers, but hopefully I can get some good advice for my specific age range and breeds.I hope it doesn’t sound jumbled I just want to add as much information as I can.

We have Orpingtons and Wyandottes mixed and full breed, 16 total. 10 from first hatching (4/3/23) and 6 from second hatching (5/7/23). 5 weeks apart in age. 3 roosters from the first round, 1 in the second. The roosters aren’t the problem- although we are taking them away from the hens soon.

We have all of the chickens in a coop with a large run sized for hopes of 2 dozen chickens.

We tried introducing the younger chicks a month ago and it didn’t work so we put them in the coop and used the see don’t touch method for a month. We’ve tried letting them mingle the last 2 days and 2-3 of the older hens will come and peck their beaks and pick up their wings and pull them around. The younger chicks run to hide their faces in the corner under some bricks. We have places set up for them to hide but they’ve been choosing that corner instead. They have their own food and own water away from the older ones. We sit out there and watch them every few hours and they’re just huddled in the corner. They were back separated at night last night, but I put them back together this morning. The older roosters will peck their backs a couple times but then walk away and leave it up the the Queen as we call her and her sisters.

The younger ones have peck marks on their beaks and they are so scared. They will be minding their own business and here comes the older hen to just attack them.

Should we just let them go and hope they work it out? What else can I do? Am I doing everything I can?

When there is strong aggression it can lead even to deaths, so I would not let them "just work it out".

Watch closely to find out the most agressive birds and separate them away from the flock.

When the younger birds have recovered from their injuries maybe try this:

You could try the introduction the other way round:

Put one of the older flock with the youngsters in their territory and see how it turns out.

After a week or so, put another of the older with the youngster flock and wait some 7-10 days until they have settled in.

If everything stays rather calm and friedly, add another one and so on.

Last edited:
The younger ones have peck marks on their beaks and they are so scared. They will be minding their own business and here comes the older hen to just attack them.
You could separate her for a week or longer from the others and see if this will stop the overall aggression. Sometimes separating the instigator can make all the difference.

Or add the most aggressive of the older flock as last bird to the new merged flock, so she will lose her top rank.

And welcome to the BYC community @Bray1709 !:frow

Last edited:
When there is strong aggression it can lead even to deaths, so I would not let them "just work it out".

Watch closely to find out the most agressive birds and separate them away from the flock.

When the younger birds have recovered from their injuries maybe try this:

You could try the introduction the other way round:

Put one of the older flock with the youngsters in their territory and see how it turns out.

After a week or so, put another of the older with the youngster flock and wait some 7-10 days until they have settled in.

If everything stays rather calm and friedly, add another one and so on.
We will try this! Thank you!

You could separate her for a week or longer from the others and see if this will stop the overall aggression. Sometimes separating the instigator can make all the difference.

Or add the most aggressive of the older flock as last bird to the new merged flock, so she will lose her top rank.

And welcome to the BYC community @Bray1709 !:frow
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I think separation is the best option, I’ll move her out and introduce one of the older more accepting birds one at a time to the younger ones and leave her to come back last

What is the size/dimensions of your coop and run?
It's recommended 4sqft per in the coop and 10sqft per in the run ... Bigger the bett
What is the size/dimensions of your coop and run?
It's recommended 4sqft per in the coop and 10sqft per in the run ... Bigger the better.
96sq ft for the coop and the run is ~1/4 acre.

Back
Top Bottom