Aggressive drake towards us

Crazy Maizie

Crowing
Jul 3, 2020
Yeah, its definitely less work for the ducks to do the hatching. I definitely feel your sympathy - I've lost ducks as well. We sometimes place our feelings on our animals, but they don't think in the same realm as us.
Pekins will lay upwards of 300 eggs per yr. But, it doesn't mean they would become broody. However, there is always the chance. I'm betting if you try again in the spring, she might be old enough and ready to brood. :hugs
That's a bummer about your phone.

Oct 19, 2021
Medicine Hat , alberta , Canada
Yeah, its definitely less work for the ducks to do the hatching. I definitely feel your sympathy - I've lost ducks as well. We sometimes place our feelings on our animals, but they don't think in the same realm as us.
Pekins will lay upwards of 300 eggs per yr. But, it doesn't mean they would become broody. However, there is always the chance. I'm betting if you try again in the spring, she might be old enough and ready to brood. :hugs
That's a bummer about your phone.
That’s very true about our feelings. I think I hurt more for her then she does ;)
I got a screen replaced end of August and it quit working. They only warranty 30 days but he was really good and only charged me half price even though it was 3 months later
I have just turned and did the candling
These two eggs are 1 day apart That I’m showing here. Both still have beating hearts :)
I just hope I get this right
I have 2 more a few days later and have a second incubator so I can do lockdown without disturbing them

Attachments

• 33ABC3CC-4C40-448C-BFF9-79AE8D997F17.jpeg
    33ABC3CC-4C40-448C-BFF9-79AE8D997F17.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 2
  • 655B8C81-81C3-4AE8-8E88-2AA1D58384A1.jpeg
    655B8C81-81C3-4AE8-8E88-2AA1D58384A1.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 2
Oct 19, 2021
That’s very true about our feelings. I think I hurt more for her then she does ;)
I got a screen replaced end of August and it quit working. They only warranty 30 days but he was really good and only charged me half price even though it was 3 months later
I have just turned and did the candling
These two eggs are 1 day apart That I’m showing here. Both still have beating hearts :)
I just hope I get this right
I have 2 more a few days later and have a second incubator so I can do lockdown without disturbing them
Just want to add I just went down to check on them make sure food and water was good and she was in the nest sitting. I peaked in and left her be. But when she heard me with the food she ran out I cleaned up the poo and then checked the eggs and they are hot so she is definitely sitting on them today is really early as usually it’s not till I put the lights out for the night she is usually waiting at the gate for me

Yardmom

Songster
May 3, 2018
Waterford, PA
It is surprising that a pekin is going broody so young, but sitting on the eggs at night is a normal start for a broody duck. Do you have a plan for how this will end? Will you give her babies? Are the last duck eggs under her? Or is it time to remove the chicken eggs?

Oct 19, 2021
It is surprising that a pekin is going broody so young, but sitting on the eggs at night is a normal start for a broody duck. Do you have a plan for how this will end? Will you give her babies? Are the last duck eggs under her? Or is it time to remove the chicken eggs?
I’m thinking I may remove the chicken eggs tomorrow
I don’t want to chance her not sitting proper on the eggs yet so I’ll continue to incubate the ones I have going but If she wants to rebuild another nest I’ll just leave it and if she sits great if she doesn’t that’s okay to
I will have to raise the little ones till they are old enough to go in with my other two
I do have the room to separate that area they are in so once they are out of the heat lamp I can put the separated up and let them meet that way till I feel they are ready to meet in one space
It took my Pekin girls a month to fully accept my drake. The first 2 weeks I had to be out there and step in a few times when they really went after him then They relaxed but he wasn’t allowed in the duck house they attacked for the next two weeks then they one day just stopped and were awesome

Oct 19, 2021
Just a follow up
I removed all the eggs yesterday. I fully expected her to give up but this morning she was in the box again. This time she moved her nest further back and has 2 eggs in it. They were very warm( my girls have laid 2 eggs 4-5 times since starting to lay ) after I got food and water she came out and hasn’t gone back in but I’m leaving these ones alone and what ever happens is in her corner now.
The 4 out of 6 eggs in the incubator are all starting but they are a staggered hatch as they are one a day starting last Wednesday to yesterday. The last two I will know more in a few days on them I do have a second incubator set up to do lockdown
Wish me luck as I have watched hours and hours on having a successful hatch but still scared
If you have any tips to add I would love to hear
P.s miss daisy was not near as upset as I was about taking her eggs away.

Oct 19, 2021
Wow. A determined Pekin. She's breaking all of the rules. ❤😁
I’m happy to say all 6 incubated eggs are fertile and developing nicely. All have heart beats minus the one that’s day 3 you can barley see the embryo but it’s there with some veins
My duck has gone broody as well. She started yesterday late afternoon usually she comes right out when I go in there and she didn’t budge Today is the first day she hasn’t laid an egg in 24 days
She is sitting on the eggs a lot now and not even coming out when I’m in there getting fresh food , water and cleaning the room up. This morning she got off the nest for a half hour to eat and drink wouldn’t even go in the pool and right back to her nest. She has 4 eggs in there now much more manageable for a new young duck to sit on
I also think she wasn’t chancing me taking her eggs again 😂
I know lots say Pekin ducks don’t sit well so we will see how long she keeps this up for
Regardless I’m letting nature takes it course and will not jump in if she gets off and leaves them down the road. The only way she will learn is to let her try
Thank you for all the replies and helping me through this tough time.
I will try to candle her eggs in a week or so and see how they are doing and update here

Top Bottom