Aggressive Mottled Java Pullets

Texas Transplant

Songster
Mar 1, 2020
Oregon
I've got three healthy and ridiculously skittish (and at times aggressive) 10 week old Mottled Java chicks, 2 have flogged me (Ursula LeGuin and Lavar Burton in the first photo). One has exhibited flogging behavior since it was 1 week old. They have a lavish lifestyle with zero stress, eat Scratch and Peck organic grower and have been handled since I got them (6 days old). They're fine with me once I've got them in my hands and are peaceful with each other. They'll also eat treats from my hands and will come to me in the evening for me to pick them up and take them into their baby pen in the hen coop. But, the darkest one reliably will flog me when I first put my hands down to pick them up. This has to be my least favorite breed I've ever experienced, I'll probably sell the two aggressive ones if they don't shape up. I'm pretty sure they're all pullets (they were sexed as pullets at a hatchery, bought them at Wilco in Oregon). I just can't account for their behavior. What do you guys think, do aggressive chicks change their demeanor as they age? (It would have to be a major personality shift for me to keep the darkest one).
Ursula and Lavar 2.jpg
EssieDavis.jpg

Sure they aren’t Ancona?

EDIT: I do have to say, they have a crazy look in their eyes ...😲
Definitely Mottled Javas :) Yes, they are real stinkers......oddly, like to have their chests pet once they calmed down, they just stand there for belly rubs.....but, the flogging has got to stop.

So ... do you think attacking is their fight/flight reaction initially to a potential threat, ie the giant flying human hand of doom?

👐 Caw caw ...
Not sure it matters, if the aggression continues. I've been nothing but gentle, patient and consistent with them so, if they are still suffering from fight or flight responses then, I'd conclude that they are a product of a very bad breeding program. I'd still need to sell them off to someone who would have more acreage and more free-ranging (I only have a 1/4 acre), I need my chickens to be pets as well as egg producers.

Last edited:
So ... do you think attacking is their fight/flight reaction initially to a potential threat, ie the giant flying human hand of doom?

👐 Caw caw ...

I would agree with this - I have one bird who is the sweetest little thing and thinks she is a lap dog, but if she's startled she turns into a demon.

I would agree with this - I have one bird who is the sweetest little thing and thinks she is a lap dog, but if she's startled she turns into a demon.
I wish it was a case of being startled.....but, I talk to them and show them what I'm going to do after I start talking to them and it's something we do at the same time of day, everyday......they actually come to me to be picked up, they know it's time to go to bed. I'm pretty sure it's a case of bad breeding.....so, yes, flight or fight BUT, I believe their nervous systems are not working properly because they're actually COMING TO ME to be picked up and I've got the one pullet to no avail, still attempts to flog me (and them lets me pet their chest afterwards?!).

Back
Top Bottom