Aggressive one! Help!

newteacher08

Hatching
May 6, 2017
We have 6 buff Orpington, 3 black jersey giants, and 2 barred rocks who are all about 5 weeks old. We have one black jersey who is a bit aggressive toward the buffs. She pecks at them. She will peck their combs, eyes, and anywhere really. We have isolated her for 6 days, in a pet crate within the run/ coop, releasing her back today. They buffs run from her and move away from her.. still. I understand pecking order, but she is a bit much for our flock. Any suggestions or should I look to rehome her?

Yes. They are 5 weeks old and have a coop/ run that's 105" long and has roosting boxes above for them as well

They probably need more room, 105 inches is only about 9-10 feet. Do they have access to grass and dirt to scratch in? Chickens are extremely active and will cause troubles if they don't keep busy.

I'm having the same problem with a flock of eight. Seven are practically bald. I just increased their run area from 4'x3' to 10'x8'. The coop is 6'x4' with two levels of 6'-long roosts. Watching this thread for helpful info, otherwise the offending bird is ending up on the table.

Try using a bumpa bit or metal bit on the beak of the offending bird. This will stop her from pecking feathers from the others and may put her lower on the pecking order because of her appearance. She will still be able to eat, and it's a happier solution than killing her :) It is possible to find them very cheap. Good luck!!

Yes. They are 5 weeks old and have a coop/ run that's 105" long and has roosting boxes above for them as well
Welcome to BYC!

105" is just under 9' long....how wide is it?

Pics would help.

Space can be KEY for aggression issues...and with such young birds, it's only going to get worse as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom