Aggressive Roo

I killed an aggressive cockerel this morning, it is not an easy thing to face. It was quick but it took me a while to regain composure. I had hatched him and his sisters in the incubator 8 months ago and raised them with TLC. He began attacking me about 3 months ago, and tho I repeatedly tried behavior modifying tactics like holding him down, making him move out of my space, etc, he persisted in these attacks. Usually it didn't hurt, I'm bundled up, he's small, but lately, spurs would go thru my clothing and draw blood. It got so that I didn't have a relationship with my pullets anymore. I couldn't go into the run without watching my back. I have a separate adult flock with a rooster (who is polite) so I really didn't need a spare, and certainly not one who doesn't behave. I am so relieved not to have to deal with the little hot shot, and I like to think the pullets are too.

This YouTube video might’ve saved my rooster this spring. He had never been aggressive to me before and I’d hatched him so didn’t really want to off him. We had just added new chicks to our flock and he was a three year old. After doing this to my rooster about three or four times, we started to have the same relationship we always had. 😀 We haven’t had problems since!

Thanks for your advice. I know what most people would do but I just can’t. If it gets any worse, my decision to keep him could change. I just have a soft spot for him. I don’t know anything about his history other than I’m his fourth home (first red flag). I purchased him back in March from a breeder in Florida who didn’t know much about him either since she got him from someone else (who got him from someone else). I really want to give him some time and work with him since I haven’t even had him for a year. The hens love him and he’s great with baby chicks. I just can’t give up on him quite yet.
Sometimes carrying them around in front of the flock will help. If you can catch him and he likes treats this is what i would try. Catch him, carry him around for at least 20 minutes in front of all the other birds, then put him down and give him a nice pile of treats directly. He will probably call the hens to come and share, he will feel like top cock bringing the girls to food. This has worked for us when the aggression was towards people only. Not so much success when it was towards his coop mates.
Wishing you all the best, we too have a small coop where they are pets and it is very hard to make the decision to cull a healthy bird.

Hello all.... I have a flock of 19 which include 3 roo's - 1 Americana and 2 Frizzle. All the crew were purchased around the same time and grew up together. Everything has been just fine and dandy until recently when the small black frizzle roo decided he didn't like me. At first I thought it was my red pajama pants because that seemed to set him off. He would jump at me and I would be able to shush him off. This morning that was NOT the case. I took them some treats and left them out of the coop and this roo decided I didn't need in the run any more. He charged me repeatedly trying to spur me. I didn't have red on this morning and he was extremely aggressive. I've never done anything too him. My crew are my pets. I had to return to the run to put more water out and he was waiting for me. I had to back into the coop and shut the doors because he was rushing me. WTH. Any thoughts??? I've NEVER had any issues with aggressive roos so this is a new one for me. The other 2 roos I can pick up. He's always been a bit standoffish so I've left him be. TIA
I had one rooster just like yours. It’s name was Chico, out of the blue he became aggressive and I ended up bringing a broom’s stick with me every time I needed to go to the coop. Chico came charging at me and I pretended to attack him with the stick to keep him at bay; it worked but he never gave up fighting for his territory and hens. Good luck!

I never have a problem...if my roosters start to show dominance I grab them and hold them down on the ground (gently but firmly) in the position they would sit on a hen. After a few seconds you'll feel them go from tense to submissive. Then let go and you'll be the boss again. I have my kids when playing with them put their hands on their heads and hold them down too and the roosters are very respectful of us.

Back
Top Bottom