Aggressive Rooster

Bini101

Hatching
Mar 10, 2024
Hi
I've been reading all the posts have to say thank you for all the help and support it has brought me...
I do have a major problem and don't quiet know how to resolve.
We stay on a farm.
The workers down the way has 3 roosters and got another, which ran away from them and landed in our windowsill we were reluctant to keep him and tried to return him but he would run back, they also agreed that we should keep him at the other roosters fight with him, we eventually grew attached with this new noise maker in our windowsill from 03h00am every morning. We assumed he was young as he hardly had spurs. After a month, we decided he may be lonely as he just doesn't stop crowing.
So I asked the people to buy me a hen from another farm, which was done so Dora and Ticktok became an item. They adjusted well and were everywhere together and seemed happy. They totally free range and I feed then 3 times a day. Dora didn't have any back feathers and her wing was damaged, she seemed to be an older chicken and sceptical around people and bolts and moans if you come close, but we just keep talking to her and she just hides behind ticktok. She laid eggs for just over a month after being here and for about 2 months non stop. Then she started skipping and laying them in wierd places and then eventually stopped. But goes in every day to "lay an egg". We have had ticktok 6 months now and Dora 5. Ticktok spurs have grown and are becoming sharp so we assume he is nearing year old now. About a week ago Dora has started hiding from him and still avoiding everyone. If we get close she puts up a scene and he then protects her by chasing her away from us aggressively and then jumps on her which makes her screem even more. It's getting worse now and she hides all the time but he watches her like a hawlk, she can't eat or drink then he jumps her then one night she decided not to get into the coop where they sleep together. So I decided to lear her into the coop and close it so she was away from him. She seemed ok with this after the first night but called the next day, so I thought she was unhappy. I noticed that she had some dry poop stuck on her vent and thought maybe she had something wrong after reading all the cleaning and stuff I decided to do the cleanup she wasn't happy sharing the coop with me but settled once I got her cought with a towel and secured her feathers I cleaned her rear, trimmed the feathers and placed Vaseline on the skin, I didn't cut to much to leave the skin exposed so she be OK. I then let her out the coop to rejoin ticktok to see if the 3 days apart would have subdued the situation but it's worse now. He just keeps shunting her around and doesn't leave her side, she can't eat or drink anything even when we corner him off and feed her, she barely ate but shouts blue murder when we go anywhere near her which tenses him up. I seriously don't know what to do. I feel it inhumaine to keep her locked in the coop and don't know what to do.
I have asked everyone I know around us if they won't be interested in taking her in or even ticktok for that matter but not both together. No one has even replied to me so no one is interested, besides the workers which we all know for what reason they would want them, but I can't get it over my hart to think they will be someone's dinner the next night.
Can anyone give me some suggestions please as I'm hopelessly lost and totally depressed. I'm a huge animal lover and find this so sad to see the abuse and can't imagine how it must feel hating people and being stuck with an aggressive partner ...I pitty her so as I can see she is so unhappy but I can't do anything as she dislikes us humans too and me even more since her vent clean up...
Ticktok is also becoming more sceptical around us which I can only imagine it's because he thinks we are hurting Dora which really isn't the case we tread litely around them both. It's upsetting the whole family already as I'm depressed and a nervous wreck around them.
Any suggestions will really be appreciated please
Just went to check if they ok but he's in the coop and she's hiding somewhere in the yard sleeping😭

Last edited:
:welcome One young rooster/cockerel and one old hen just is not going to work. He is at his height sexually, and she is reaching the point of no interest. More hens might help the situation, but he may just be an over aggressive male. Separation seems like an immediate viable solution.

Thanks for the reply.
I want to Seperate them, I need to build the nerve to catch her to get her into the coop and close her up.
I just can't get any more chickens my poor hart can't handle this stuff I'm too soft and have too much compassion. I just wish someone was interested in taking her but she has baggage and am sure it puts people off.

I am glad that you realize that you are really not a chicken person. Chickens are hard on people with soft hearts. Chickens are rather ruthless, and not people like at all. That is one of your big problems, is that you are giving them people emotions that they truly don't have.

Just because he landed on your windowsill, is not like getting a gift from the Gods that you are obligated to keep. Keeping him is not bringing you any joy. Let him go back to the people that had him, or to anyone else. There is nothing dishonorable in feeding a family. Don't ask any questions, and just assume, that they do know what they are doing and it will be a quick and painless death.

The thing about roosters is that they really change, as in REALLY CHANGE as in really they are not the same bird they were months ago when you did like him. That bird is not more, not your fault, not his fault. Just a bird that no longer works in your situation.

Animal husbandry is about keeping domesticated animals. It is a responsibility to keep them healthy and safe. Your pair are neither safe or healthy. One should go, and more than likely both should go.

Mrs k

Thank you for your reply🙏 gonna see what today brings we going to catch her and place her in the coop for her safety. The coop is fairly big with a small yard in the front so she can move and live comfortably without him. I have put out the word if someone can take her on I'm really hoping someone does make contact soon. On top of the coop we made a comfy and safe place that he can sleep at night, so he will also be OK for now. Wish us luck and pray someone decent reaches out. Thanks again for your wise words. Will let you know how it goes.

Dora is safe in the coop, I hid some water and food in there and she took the bait so I closed it Sjoe what a relief thanks again everyone for your caring and understanding

Back
Top Bottom