Aggressive roosters

Alyooo14

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
I have 2 roosters and 8 hens, they're all 19-20wks. The past couple of days both roos have been attacking and mating one particular hen together. At the same time. The have not tried to mate any of the other hens. At least that I've seen. They are obsessed with this one hen and I feel so bad for her. Today it was so bad they were keeping her from eating and drinking. She was so distressed she was shaking and making long quack like sounds I haven't heard her make before so I separated the roosters from the hens this afternoon and tonight. Long term though what should I do?
This is my first time having chickens and I've had these 10 since they were day old chicks. I understand the mating can seem aggressive but their behavior just feels like they are harassing her and stressing her out.

I was in a similar situation just a few weeks ago. We reluctantly posted on a local facebook group to re home the cockerels. Someone responded and wanted one of them. We were a little sad to see him go. But once he left things have been so much better.

The one that stayed has been treating the girls so much better. If he tries and they protest he moves on to the next one. If she cooperates he happily does his duties and move on. Everyone is getting along now.

Yes, try isolating one of the cockerels and see if things calm down out there. You could try each cockerel with the pullets, maybe for a week or two, and see if either is better, and if the pullets are doing better.
If these are your first chickens, send both cockerels of elsewhere, and raise some next spring, when you have mature hens who can help civilize them.
Mary

I agree with Mary, cockerels and roosters take some experience. Ones raised with flock mates get bigger and can become bullies. They are just picking on one now, but I would expect that to change.

Cockerels raised up under adult birds, learn proper chicken society and some manners. And you will also have a bit more experience. An all hen flock is very nice for the first year.

If you really want to keep them, then do as Tonyroo states - pull those cockerels off by themselves, and wait until every one of the pullets is laying, and laying well, then you can try it again.

Mrs K

I divided my run for my chicks at 4 weeks when I put them outside.I had to release my cockerels at 12 weeks to prevent them abusing the hens.My pullets have the whole run to themselves a couple hrs a day (but only after the hens quit laying)They're restricted to 4 sq ft in the run until they start laying and are eager to get out. I can't tell if either one of my cockerels is worth keeping yet but they're only 16 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom