AHHHHH. I may have one of the dumbest hens ever.

Doc McCluckins

Songster
Feb 3, 2016
Middle Tennessee
So frustrated. One of our Austrolorps went broody. We have a 10 hole nesting box and while there is more than enough for everyone to lay an egg in their own box, since not all 11 lay everyday, they all like to share a box. One day we went out to find our Austrolorp sitting on the eggs so we let her be. I have already ordered chicks this year but we figured we would see how she did. Now we know she didn't do well. Yesterday the other hens had laid their pile of eggs in the box beside our setters box. So apparently with all chickens must have on their minds when she got up to eat, she got confused and came back and set on the pile of new eggs instead of the ones that were a few days from hatching!!!! I don't know how long the mix up was for but the new eggs were very warm and the others weren't very. It was only in the 60s yesterday so as a result of one dumb chicken and the help of a few others who are obsessed with sharing all my babies are dead. I put her on the proper nest and threw the warmed fresh eggs out just to be safe. I guess I will wait a few days before I toss the ones full of chicks. I hate that, it breaks my heart. Its not likely, but I wouldn't be disappointed in some miracle chicks.

I'm loosing hope in birds all together. I came home to find a Killdeer who had made her nest right in the MIDDLE of the driveway. Either this is natural selection at its finest or birds will be extinct soon at the rate they are reproducing with success around my house.

What happened with your broody is pretty normal. I check mine that stay in the nest box several times a day to make sure they're where they're supposed to be. Most of my girls go back to the right nest, but I have a few who always seem to get lost (and a lot of times, they'll choose an empty nest instead of the one with their eggs. At least yours was on eggs :D ). The ones that nest hop, I move to a separate cage and let out once a day. Its easier for me to move them, then let them keep switching nests.

Anyway. Don't give up on those eggs, they will very likely still hatch. If they're full of chick, those babies are producing a little of their own body heat, and the inside of the egg can take many hours to start to cool. I've had eggs that have gone ice cold still hatch. :fl crossed for you!

PS- Killdeer have got to be some of the dimmest birds ever. I've seen them nesting right in the middle of parking lots, in the middle of the road. Its crazy.

Last edited:
I guess it is good to know that my hen isn't the only one whose elevator doesn't make it to the top.

Fingers crossed for the eggs. They were still a bit warm so I won't give up on them yet!

There were four babies yesterday!!! YAYYYYY. I guess I should have been a little more hopeful they would hatch. I gotta get busy setting up a feed and water system for them after work today. I'm going to let her raise them even though she has not proven to be a bright one. I have hatchery chicks coming in May so I want to save my brooder for them. I'll have to get pictures of them when I can. My husband said there was an Ameraucana, which would be impressive. The hen had set on eggs from the whole flock and I have one Ameraucana and one Easter Egger and the dad could have either been most likely an Ameraucana or less likely our pet black silkie, so it isn't impossible. I have several Maran hens so I am hoping to have a few Olive Eggers. My luck they are all roosters lol.

Back
Top Bottom