All Rooster flock - Is this odd?

grnidone

Songster
7 Years
Jul 9, 2016
Russell, Kansas
As much fun as I had with my roos, I've been thinking of having an all rooster flock just as pets and a separate flock of hens for eggs.

The roosters were so friendly and made me laugh. I miss them terribly.

Is this a crazy idea?

I keep some roosters that have no hens, some are free range, some are confined, they get along well enough because they were raised together, so as long as your boys don't fight it should work out, but that's a big if especially in spring. You certainly can try and see how it goes. I like roosters too.

When I get too many unwanted roosters in my hen yard I throw them across the fence and they live in the yard around my house till I eat them or haul them off. I currently have 11 roosters walking around my yard making a big nuisance of themselves. Most of them are scrawny layer breed types not worth killing so eventually I'll haul them to a remote horse pasture where they'll live a true natural organic, free range chicken life.

I'm planning on doing this as well. We have become very close with our roosters and would like to start a second flock of just roosters. I'd love to follow your progress if you don't mind updating? :) we have 8 to start with.

When I get too many unwanted roosters in my hen yard I throw them across the fence and they live in the yard around my house till I eat them or haul them off. I currently have 11 roosters walking around my yard making a big nuisance of themselves. Most of them are scrawny layer breed types not worth killing so eventually I'll haul them to a remote horse pasture where they'll live a true natural organic, free range chicken life.
.... until something kills them and eats them.

Back
Top Bottom