Alternatives to Freedom Rangers

Quote:
I've been very pleased with mine so far. They were just two weeks old yesterday.

Grey -- I know you have raised the Hubbard type birds before. What has been your experience as far as a timeline to get them big enough to process and at what weight do you process your birds? I have not marketed my own before -- just to family and friends. I'm aiming for a 4.5-5# dressed bird.

Thanks!

I usually send them in when the largest one in the flock is 10 lbs live weight. That seemed to give me 3.5-6.0 range. It was generally around 9 weeks.. but, I'm not counting weeks as much as I am monitoring their live weight.

Hello all,

I discovered this website a few days ago in my frantic search for a hatchery to replace Freedom Rangers. I have raised Freedom Rangers for 2.5 years now and have NOT kept up with the offerings from other producers (lesson learned). I would like to give a very heartfelt "Thank you!!" to all who have posted what they know regarding the Freedom Rangers issue, as well as alternative breeds and hatcheries.

Yesterday I called Moyers Chicks (215-536-3155) and inquired about the K-22 Red Broilers. I was able to verify that Moyers receives their parent stock from Pureline Inside (http://purelineinside.com). According to Moyers, the K-22s will take 4 weeks longer than a standard Cornish Cross to make weight. They are supposed to be good on range.

Today I talked with Gary Proctor from Pureline Inside (860-889-1933). He verified that Pureline supplies the K-22 genetics to Moyers, as well as one other hatchery in New York. He said the K-22 grandparent stock comes from an Italian breeding company (I was not able to get the name) and that these birds are supposed to be good on range.

Today I talked with Joel at JM Hatchery (717-330-3247). This is what I learned:

His Redbro offering is similar to the (Freedom Rangers) Red Ranger and Bronze Ranger.

He has made contact with one of the Amish farmers that was raising parent stock and producing eggs for Barbara Aaron. He has made arrangements to purchase those eggs. Chicks from those eggs should be available in four weeks (first week of June).

He will be able to visually identify what were formerly known as the (Freedom Rangers "Grey Ranger" ) chicks at hatching. These would equate to the Hubbard Master Grey (S/M).

He did not seem to be familiar with the Freedom Rangers 2008 breed called "Golden Ranger". I don't know that he will be able to visually sort those chicks at hatch.

In years past he carried a Hubbard Grey Barred (S/M); (similar to the Freedom Rangers "Gourmet Black"). He is reviving that line this year; he will be receiving the Grey Barred male (parent) chicks next week. Therefore he will have a Hubbard Grey Barred S/M chicks available in November of this year.

Updates to his web site will be forthcoming.

He said the RedBro was particularly popular with the Asian population - the thin skin is highly desirable.

I have orders in for K-22s from Moyers; I will end up raising the K-22s concurrent with RedBro M / Redpac M from JM Hatchery in order to do some A:B comparisons.

Ed

4) If anyone at all tomorrow could e-mail Hubbard USA sales and try to get a list of all hatcheries which order the Differentiated Growth product line from them, I'd also be indebted.

I haven't seen that anyone else has posted any info on their findings, so I emailed them myself. Will let you know if I get a response!!!​

The guy at JM seems to have it figured out what people are looking for. I ordered a batch of 50 Red Bro's from him this week. I intend to order some greys when he gets them too. Thank god someone stepped up to fill the gap!

Ed,
Thanks for doing all the talking! Great post full of info.

I think I will order Red Bro in the fall, as I think it is too hot here in south Texas for these birds in the summer. I can't imagine how much energy it must take to keep them cool on a broiler house!!

Perhaps by the Fall, they will have the greys and blacks worked out.

Thanks again!!

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom