Ancona duck ratio help

JaredandLauren

Chirping
Aug 30, 2020
I have 11 chickens and want to add two Ancona ducks to my flock (not in the same space though-the ducks will have their own run and house). If I were to get a drake and a hen do you think they would be okay? I have read that one male to one female ratio could be detrimental to the female but I’ve also read that Anconas are gentle so maybe the drake wouldn’t be so rough towards the hen? Thoughts?

One on one may work. I all depends upon the drake. A lot of overmating problems occur with multiple drakes in a flock competitively breeding hens. Some mallard derived birds develop strong one on one pair bonds.

One on one may work. I all depends upon the drake. A lot of overmating problems occur with multiple drakes in a flock competitively breeding hens. Some mallard derived birds develop strong one on one pair bonds.
There’s a place near me that sells Ancona ducklings but only as straight run ..I would be risking them being a male and female so I wasn’t sure if this combo would be alright. I wanted to avoid ordering online and having them shipped but if one make to female is risky then I may just order online.

Back
Top Bottom