Annies puppies 2 weeks and a few more ?'s (PIC HEAVY)

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
Well I am a few days late on the two week pictures but they had just opened there eyes and I wanted to give them time to adjust in the darker area of there box before taking them out to do pictures. We even weighed them in mostly dark for two days. There personalities are really starting to show, we have removed the blanket over the table the whelping pool is under, and its so much fun to just sit and watch them play, puppy#1- Pinky as we have started to call her is usually the instigator of the play, she will grab anothers ear and start tugging with little growls, soon they are tumbling around playing. Orange (pupppy5) is still the calmest and has been gaining the least, she just doesn't want to fight with the others for room at nursing time, other times she would sleep right through it not even realizing mom is in there unless we pick her up and put her over by the rest. She is still gaining though so I am not to worried. Brawny (the boy) is the biggest weighing in at a hefty 48.70 oz or 3.04 lbs! Though he has not gained the most total, Pinky #1 has. I added up all the gains from the beginning to the 25th and surprisingly it goes exactly from 1-5. 1 gained the most then 2 then 3 then 4 and 5(orange) has gained the least. Now the pictures and I'll add my questions at the end of the pictures.

Puppy1 - Pinky(red)- 48.05 oz - The trouble maker, the one who starts stuff, and a sweet heart who loves to cuddle.
puppy1redgirl2wksyawn.png

redsleeps2weeks.jpg

Puppy2- Green - 46.70 oz- She hates to be on her back, seems a bit stubborn, and very un-submissive.
puppy2greengirl2wks3daysfacewithstats.jpg

Puppy3- Sophie(formerly known as squealer)- 47.60 oz- She is my favorite, likes to snuggle and will fall asleep if you hold her on her back.
puppy3Sophiegirl2weeks3daysfacewithstats.jpg

puppy3sophiegirl2wks3daysyawning.jpg

Puppy4- Brawny- The Boy- 48.70- Hates to be on his back, otherwise a sweetie, very good about going off the rug to poop.
Puppy4blueboy2weeks3daysfacewithstats.jpg

Puppy5- Orange- 45.30oz.She is the calmest, most laid back and loves to snuggle. She is DH's favorite and her brown is really starting to come in. ( You can see how much she has grown in just a few days as I put her info on 6/24,versus the weight as of last night 6/27
puppy5closeup2weekinfo.jpg

Orange2weeks.jpg

Group Pictures
puppies left to right Sophie, Brawny, Orange, Pinky, Green
puppys34512Grouppic.jpg

shadededgespups.jpg

squealerandgreen2Heart.jpg

orangewhileredeatsbrawny.jpg

In the dog bed we use when we are cleaning the whelping area (Brawny on his back, he will lay like that on his own but if you roll him to his back he freaks out)
puppies2wks.jpg

puppies2wks52314.jpg

puppies43and.jpg

1on2and3on4.jpg

Andycheckingoutthepuppies.jpg

Blurry but thought it was cute with the kitty checking them out. The cats ignore them when they are in the whelping pen.

grouppicall5pups.jpg

lefttoright51243.jpg

puppiesgrouppic.jpg

I wormed Annie today as the vet instructed. He didn't say anything about the pups but the wormer says they should be wormed at 2 weeks. How would I do that? I can of course call the vet to ask, but know that he is out of the office this afternoon and thought you all might have the answer anyway. They are not yet eating food, so how would you worm them? Also the dosage is 1tsp for 5lbs of weight and they don't yet weigh 5lbs.

2ndly and I know some of you will probably have issues with this, but we have always given Annie (and all our other dogs) shots our self, we only do the rabies at the veterinarian. This saves us A LOT of money and we have never had an issue. This was my plan with the puppies, but then I realized how will I be able to give the new owners the "shot record"? So they and their veterinarians know which shots they have and still need? (we do the puppy shots given at 6, 8, and 12 weeks). They should be going to their new homes around 8-10 weeks. So will still need the last booster. I am thinking of asking what the vet would charge for doing the shots for all 5 then that way they would have the record of it. Any suggestions on this would be great, or if you know what the price would probably be that would be good too.

When shall I start offering softened puppy food to them? I have the puppy formula and plan to mix it with the kibble till it is soft an mushy, liquidy even, but am hearing different things on what time that should be started. My vet simply said, between 3 and 5 weeks. But that is a big gap. My one book says 2-4 another says 4-5, and one says when the dam stops nursing them (pretty sure that is wrong)

When can we take them outside for the first time? I was thinking another week, but they are getting around well and was wondering when you guys let them out for the first time.

Thanks for all the help and advice. Sorry for so many pictures

I would start deworming the pups at 3 to 4 weeks. 1 tsp is equal to 5 cc’s or 5 ml’s on a syringe so just draw up what you need and squirt it into their mouths.

I always did my own shots too. I see no sense in taking a litter of pups to the vet and exposing them to the germs that are there just to get shots. You can order blank health records from the same place you order vaccines from. I get mine from Foster and Smith.

Start feeding them when they seem too hungry. I think around 3 ½ to 4 weeks is good, but that depends on how satisfied they seem with the meals Annie is providing.

No need in taking them out too soon. Maybe 4 weeks? Whenever they are really moving around well. They may not like being on grass at first.

Back
Top Bottom