Another chicken with sour crop

Kmcschoolee

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
I have another chicken with sour crop. She does not feel impacted but feels like a water balloon and I can smell odor from her beak. I have had several chickens with crop problems and have not had any luck with treatment. The last one i feel was more impacted and I could not get her well. This one I feel certain is sour crop. I don't feel any hard masses in her crop. I have not had success treating one yet. I try the Monistat cream and its hard to get it down them and it never seams to work. Also why would I keep having this problem? The coop is clean, they have grit, I do let them free range some. They have pleanty of water and it has happened to different age chickens.

Multiple cases suggest the cause is something systemic to your set up. Is your feed dry and fresh? Damp or moldy feed is a common cause of sour crop.

I'm not a chicken person, so this needs to be verified by someone who knows. I thought that worms can cause issues with the crop and that you were supposed to deworm them while treating for sour crop too?

Multiple cases suggest the cause is something systemic to your set up. Is your feed dry and fresh? Damp or moldy feed is a common cause of sour crop.
No my feed is stored in a dry box. What do you suggest for putting down in the run. I do have straw because if not it's just mud. That is the only thing I can think of. Any other reasons you can think of

I think her sour crop is getting a lot better. It does not feel full and I cannot smell the sour anymore.This is a couple droppings and i found a piece of straw in one. I was going to treat for coccidiosis but since I found the single piece of straw I wonder if that is the problem. Is this dropping normal for a chicken not eating and only drinking or does it look like there is a parasite? If normal how do I get things moving lower down so she will eat? Like if her gizzard is blocked. She is still drinking at this time.

Attachments

• 20211230_143102.jpg
    20211230_143102.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211230_143125.jpg
    20211230_143125.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211230_143245.jpg
    20211230_143245.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 6
I think her sour crop is getting a lot better. It does not feel full and I cannot smell the sour anymore.This is a couple droppings and i found a piece of straw in one. I was going to treat for coccidiosis but since I found the single piece of straw I wonder if that is the problem. Is this dropping normal for a chicken not eating and only drinking or does it look like there is a parasite? If normal how do I get things moving lower down so she will eat? Like if her gizzard is blocked. She is still drinking at this time.
Did you deworm them?

I did the pour on ivermectin a couple days ago. She getting worse. I also treated for coccidiosis staying yesterday. I don't think she's going to make it. Her crop is full of fluid and when she lays down she kinda lasts over to one side like she is hurting. She layed an egg 2 days ago so she layed since she started showing symptoms. But not since.

I woke up this am and she had 2 large dropping and they had what I belive are round worms. She's acting a little better and her crop seems more flat. I will continue treating for sour crop for another day. She ate a couple meal worms and a couple pieces of her feed but did not seem very interested in any of it. I tried scramble eggs and she won't eat that either. Any other suggestions. Do you think they're is more worms in her?

Back
Top Bottom