Another new poult issue *need help again

carlaashdown

Songster
Jul 9, 2021
SE Georgia, USA
Poults are stressful! :hmm Hatched two of the three eggs I had. First time having turkeys. I should mention this was not a planned event for us and something we just happened to end up with. Posted about the first one not eating/learning to eat. That's been improving each day, she is now eating wet food off of our hand and a small bowl. Caught her drinking from the waterer a few times and is pecking around at dry food. So, I think she will get the hang of it. Thankfully.

Second poult - first day was the typical clumsy, learning to walk, etc. Second day, I thought she had splay leg. One leg straight out to the side. Tried the bandaid trick to correct the leg. Wouldn't stand at all, so I took it off. She was active, able to get around the brooder. This morning (day 3), splay is worse. I did the rubberband/hair tie trick. Didn't help at all. I then added coflex (like vet wrap). She just laid on her belly, legs straight out the back like a frog. When we hold her, we can bend the leg in place in our hand to where she is in a normal sitting position. It doesn't seem to hurt her. And she pushes off of our hand. The leg seems strong, it's splayed out to one side. The issue is possibly at the hip? Not eating on her own yet, but I've been feeding by syringe several times a day. I added poultry cell and vitamin d today. Honestly, I'm thinking she needs to be culled, I don't want her to suffer. I also don't want to give up on her if there is anything else I can do. Suggestions?

Poults are stressful! :hmm Hatched two of the three eggs I had. First time having turkeys. I should mention this was not a planned event for us and something we just happened to end up with. Posted about the first one not eating/learning to eat. That's been improving each day, she is now eating wet food off of our hand and a small bowl. Caught her drinking from the waterer a few times and is pecking around at dry food. So, I think she will get the hang of it. Thankfully.

Second poult - first day was the typical clumsy, learning to walk, etc. Second day, I thought she had splay leg. One leg straight out to the side. Tried the bandaid trick to correct the leg. Wouldn't stand at all, so I took it off. She was active, able to get around the brooder. This morning (day 3), splay is worse. I did the rubberband/hair tie trick. Didn't help at all. I then added coflex (like vet wrap). She just laid on her belly, legs straight out the back like a frog. When we hold her, we can bend the leg in place in our hand to where she is in a normal sitting position. It doesn't seem to hurt her. And she pushes off of our hand. The leg seems strong, it's splayed out to one side. The issue is possibly at the hip? Not eating on her own yet, but I've been feeding by syringe several times a day. I added poultry cell and vitamin d today. Honestly, I'm thinking she needs to be culled, I don't want her to suffer. I also don't want to give up on her if there is anything else I can do. Suggestions?
Sounds like a slipped tendon. Splay leg treatment will not work on a slipped tendon. You first need to manipulate the tendon back into it's groove and then secure it there.

Sounds like a slipped tendon. Splay leg treatment will not work on a slipped tendon. You first need to manipulate the tendon back into it's groove and then secure it there.
Thanks. I suspected so, but have never experienced it. I read about how to slip it back in and also read mixed results about it actually working and needing to be culled anyway. After I put it back, can I just vet wrap that leg to keep it from slipping out again?

Thanks. I suspected so, but have never experienced it. I read about how to slip it back in and also read mixed results about it actually working and needing to be culled anyway. After I put it back, can I just vet wrap that leg to keep it from slipping out again?
It has to be wrapped securely to keep it in place. The one case I know of that worked was aired in an episode of Dr. Oakley Yukon vet. She fashioned a splint an then taped it in place.

The earlier it is caught and treated th4 better the chance for success is. Adding vitamin B complex to its water at the rate of 1/2 tablet per one gallon of water can help. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom