Another round of what's my gender

LuciferRoo

Songster
Mar 18, 2023
South Texas
This is a chicken that someone abandoned and I took in. The first two photos I am guessing were taken at about 2 months old. I cannot be sure of the age because this is when I "adopted" them. I am making my guess based on some chicks that I hatched few months earlier.
The next 3rd photo is take almost exactly 6 weeks later.
Just curious about everyone's guesses as to white chicken's gender.

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_134553.jpg
    IMG_20230922_134553.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20230922_134538.jpg
    IMG_20230922_134538.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231107_070733.jpg
    IMG_20231107_070733.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 17
She's a pullet, and likely older than you estimated. She looks like she's either laying or will be quite soon.

She was a pullet that fooled me.
I thought I had a cockerel until I found a white egg.
She was living with a Bielefelder pullet, so I knew that the egg had to be hers as Bielefelders lay dark brown eggs.
Sadly, she was killed by dogs that broke into my backyard.
I posted these photos to see as sort of a test.
I wanted to see what others thought.

The Bielefelder survived the dogs, but has not started laying yet. I read they start late but the first photo was taken at the end of September, and I am wondering when she might start.
I am in South Texas so winter is not the issue. All the other hens are laying eggs.

She was a pullet that fooled me.
I thought I had a cockerel until I found a white egg.
She was living with a Bielefelder pullet, so I knew that the egg had to be hers as Bielefelders lay dark brown eggs.
Sadly, she was killed by dogs that broke into my backyard.
I posted these photos to see as sort of a test.
I wanted to see what others thought.

The Bielefelder survived the dogs, but has not started laying yet. I read they start late but the first photo was taken at the end of September, and I am wondering when she might start.
I am in South Texas so winter is not the issue. All the other hens are laying eggs.
Do you mean Barnevelder? The pullet in with the white one looks like a Barnevelder. How old is she now? Some hens do just like to take their sweet time.

Do you mean Barnevelder? The pullet in with the white one looks like a Barnevelder. How old is she now? Some hens do just like to take their sweet time.
Yes. I got her towards the end of September and my estimate was that she was about 2 months old. This would make her 6 months old.
However I did read that they start laying around 8 months old, so I have another couple more months,of waiting.
Meanwhile I have 2 pullets that hatched end of September and they will probably start laying real soon.

I do miss that white Leghorn. She had a very outgoing personality without being annoying.

Back
Top Bottom