Antique Brass Telephone

Chiknsrcool

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
I was trying to clean this antique telephone with brasso and a toothbrush but it started to turn pink! I read online that I have rubbed the zinc off and I was wondering if there is any way to fix it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 3
It appears to be having a reaction with the Brasso? Try immersing the housing in either molasses/water mix or HTH pool shocker/water mix. Along with electrolysis, it will take rust, corrosion and built up patina off. Remove the electronics first!

ETA- be very careful and keep an eye on it...this method can reduce certain metals to dust.

Last edited:
I restore antique lanterns and lamps. I use those 2 methods alot to remove old paint, corrosion, rust, etc....if left unattended it can reduce certain metals to a pile of sediment....especially nickle plate! :old

Last edited:
I restore antique lanterns and lamps. I use those 2 methods alot to remove old paint, corrosion, rust, etc....if left unattended it can reduce certain metals to a pile of sediment....especially nickle plate! :old
Hi, I have been putting it off for a while but I finally took it apart and I was wondering how do I determine if the metal will be destroyed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 0
Also will these methods restore it to regular brass? Or will it stay pink?

Back
Top Bottom