Any advice how to figure out why my rooster can’t stand up? And what to do

Rahima

Hatching
Apr 15, 2023
My rooster was attacked by a weasel a month ago. He was hurt pretty badly but he was able to walk for a couple days, mainly just standing in one spot. I took care of his wound right away, I sprayed it, gave him antibiotics, electrolytes for the stress, and began syringe-feeding him water/food bc he couldn’t on his own. Then he just laid down and never got up again. He’s been laying in his box ever since, now he seems better the way he’s more awake and picking up his head and using his wings, even eating on his own(I still have to feed him water though). The only problem is he’s still not getting up. I took him to the vet twice, he gave him shots both times for muscle strength and for nerves. He had more energy those days but It didn’t change much. I’ve been giving him vitamin b daily and aminovit. I’m not sure if his bones are okay, the chest bone is very visible maybe bc he lost weight. And I’m not sure if it’s nerve damage. I would love some advice on what to do

Welcome to BYC. Where were his wounds? In the neck, back, or head, it could be a spinal injury or brain damage. Nerves can sometimes regenerate with rest and good nursing care. Are you using B complex, with all of the B Vitamins? I would also add 400 IU vitamin E softgels once a day to the regimen. A chicken sling with his feet touching the ground might be helpful to get him up, keep cleaner, and to aid in getting enough food and water. They should have periods of rest out of the sling. Over a few weeks he might be able to get back on his feet. This thread has 4 pages of sling designs, especially posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Welcome to BYC. Where were his wounds? In the neck, back, or head, it could be a spinal injury or brain damage. Nerves can sometimes regenerate with rest and good nursing care. Are you using B complex, with all of the B Vitamins? I would also add 400 IU vitamin E softgels once a day to the regimen. A chicken sling with his feet touching the ground might be helpful to get him up, keep cleaner, and to aid in getting enough food and water. They should have periods of rest out of the sling. Over a few weeks he might be able to get back on his feet. This thread has 4 pages of sling designs, especially posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Thank u for the fast reply. He had a bite wound behind his neck a little higher. He lost an eye during the attack and the tip of his top beak fell off. I didn’t see any other wounds around his back. Yes I was giving him b complex, I just finished the full syringe that the vet gave me, should I get more and continue it? I’m still giving him aminovit which has Vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D3, E, K. I will look for that vitamin E. So all of this helps the nerves right? And that chicken sling would help alot I never thought of that, I’ve been exercising his legs every day so they don’t cramp up. Would anything else indicate nerve damage or spinal injury? Bc he is using his wings and moving his head and neck.

Back
Top Bottom