Any tips on taming ducks?

Treats and patience. Treats and patience. Heavy on the patience.
The latter might be a issue but I've been sitting in their pen and throwing peas at them. That has helped a bit. I've also forced my khaki Campbell Rose to cuddle three times now and today she let me pet her a bit.

I've got four skittish 16 week old ducks who won't let me near them and I'm not sure how to tame them.
My daughter or husband will help me slowly corner them into an area where we can pick up one when it tries to run past me. I just hold it for a 1 or 2 minutes. They join back together and honk and quack telling to each other the appalling idea that the "human picked me up." They never really run away after, more just a regrouping by me. I follow right away with mealworms scattered right on the ground in front of me. They come right up and eat. If you give them treats already and your the one that feeds them, they forgive easily. I posted just recently that we've been "Force cuddling" :lau

I recommend wearing long sleeves and gloves possibly, they have some sharp claws that have really done a number on my arm when trying to gather the feet.

I'm newer, these are my first ducks, there are so many amazing people on here that are super knowledgeable. I'm sure you will get even better advice then what I gave as a newbie.

:pop

Edited: tried to minimize my super long explanation of force cuddling a duck :D

Last edited:
I have little experience with ducklings, but I had two shipped to me a couple years back. I really hoped to tame them and have them imprint on me, but I don't think I had enough time to spend with them. Like Angus said, treats and patience is key, and make sure to spend as much time with them as you can. I also wouldn't grab them or touch them if you are aware they don't like it, this will only make them associate you with fear and stress. I've learned in my years of raising quail that some birds are just not meant to be tamed, but good luck with them!

The latter might be a issue but I've been sitting in their pen and throwing peas at them. That has helped a bit. I've also forced my khaki Campbell Rose to cuddle three times now and today she let me pet her a bit.
That's what I get for typing a lot, you already force cuddle 😊 I can't just reach out and pet mine, but they do sit at my feet and eat or let me sit right next to them while they play in the pool or lay in the grass.

Hoping to get to the petting stage after alot of regular force cuddling!

I raised my ducks from incubation and some of mine still don’t like to be held
My older ones will run up to eat out of my hands and let me pick them if I have to
My younger ones age 8-9 weeks are terrible right now. They quack like the world is ending when I pick them up lol
I have 2 boys that run up to get held
One of them will even fly across the yard if he sees me wanting attention
Each duck has their own personality
Because you got yours later I would just keep showing them you are safe
Treats is a great way
Eventually they will follow you for the treats and eat from your hands

I raised my ducks from incubation and some of mine still don’t like to be held
My older ones will run up to eat out of my hands and let me pick them if I have to
My younger ones age 8-9 weeks are terrible right now. They quack like the world is ending when I pick them up lol
I have 2 boys that run up to get held
One of them will even fly across the yard if he sees me wanting attention
Each duck has their own personality
Because you got yours later I would just keep showing them you are safe
Treats is a great way
Eventually they will follow you for the treats and eat from your hands
Your ducks sound adorable! I got them as ducklings and cuddled them a lot until eight weeks but then I had to stop holding them because I was getting this weird rash on my hands from it and now I've switched their feed to see if it was that causing it.

Back
Top Bottom