any tips on training a dog not to eat chickens?

do you think its possible to train a dog not to chase chickens?

• yes definitely!

• depends on the dog

• probably not

• no way

• I don't know

• other (please elaborate in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
cool thanks for the advise. update: this morning I took him (his name is Chaga, like the mushroom) for a 3 mile walk, until his tung was lolling out, then went by the chicken coop, walked him by the chicken house window, he sniff around but mostly for chicken food and chicken poop. then we opened the house so that he could see them anymore and he sniffed and ate some chicken poop, the chickens all panicked so he spooked and barked. then he tried to chase then l said no! and led him away, after that he ran up to the house with us. so yeah pretty ok, not NEARLY as bad as some.

cool thanks for the advise. update: this morning I took him (his name is Chaga, like the mushroom) for a 3 mile walk, until his tung was lolling out, then went by the chicken coop, walked him by the chicken house window, he sniff around but mostly for chicken food and chicken poop. then we opened the house so that he could see them anymore and he sniffed and ate some chicken poop, the chickens all panicked so he spooked and barked. then he tried to chase then l said no! and led him away, after that he ran up to the house with us. so yeah pretty ok, not NEARLY as bad as some.

That sounds very promising. Chaga doesn't sound like he has a strong prey drive (he would be obsessed with staring at the chickens if he did). Good luck with him and your flock.

Back
Top Bottom