Anyone Canning Using Tattlers?

Agreed, I can often buy the jarred product almost as cheaply as the empty canning jars. Even the jars which are not standard sized/threaded to fit canning lids and jars can be used for HWB canning with the original jar lid if it is not at all dinged up, and the interior paint coating is not scratched. I've found that they seal VERY well.

I did a pepper relish yesterday and used my Tattler lids and the technique info in the videos I cited above. It worked out perfectly and I got 100% seals.

The trick is, first simmer the rubber gaskets then when you put the rings on the hot jars, only turn the rings until the jar wants to turn with them. Then, when the jars come out of the water bath, grab the jar and the ring and secure it down tight. Let the jars cool completely and then you can take the rings off.

So glad Smuvers Farm brought this up initially so I could learn to do it right and not have thousands of unused rings and lids around. A handful of rings and a few packages of resuseable lids will meet my needs from now on!

The bottom line of all this is: if you're curious about them try their 2 lid sample packs and the specific technique. Then all you'll have to do is get your friends and neighbors to remember to return them to you. :)

Oh and PS, in case you were wondering: they fit under the plastic screw-on lids that you can use once you unseal them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom