Anyone dry pluck? (just a curious question!)

Does just pouring hot water over it help much?
That's hard to answer. That was the only way I knew then and the only way I tried. And it was so long ago. It helped some but probably not a lot.

That would be something I could try, the main reason I do it dry is I don't have any good container for dunking, or a way to keep the water hot.
I tried dunking when I got back into chickens when I retired and quit traveling. But it did not take that long for me to switch to skinning. My wife wanted the skin gone. The way I had to heat up water took time and was a fire hazard. I'm much more comfortable skinning now.

That's hard to answer. That was the only way I knew then and the only way I tried. And it was so long ago. It helped some but probably not a lot.
I guess I could try it, and find out.
It is partially around the wing and vent areas that struggle, so if I concentrate on those spots it might work quite well.
I tried dunking when I got back into chickens when I retired and quit traveling. But it did not take that long for me to switch to skinning. My wife wanted the skin gone. The way I had to heat up water took time and was a fire hazard. I'm much more comfortable skinning now.
I skin about half of them, the ones I am parting out.
I like the skin on the whole roasters, though.
When skinning, what do you do with the wings? I always find them the hardest part.

The wing is in three parts. I cut the outside section off with poultry shears and toss it. It's not worth it to me.

Where the flight feathers attach are a pain. I use a knife to kind of cut them off until I can grab that and tear it off. I don't have an easy way for that. I try to start that section peeling off, just get it started.

I cut the feet off before I start skinning, that helps.

The wing is in three parts. I cut the outside section off with poultry shears and toss it. It's not worth it to me.

Where the flight feathers attach are a pain. I use a knife to kind of cut them off until I can grab that and tear it off. I don't have an easy way for that. I try to start that section peeling off, just get it started.

I cut the feet off before I start skinning, that helps.
When you skin, how do you hold the chicken to keep the meat clean while you skin it? I don't have a good way to hold the chicken while I use two hands to remove the skin - hanging against a plastic covered tree and laying on a table (tied to one end by its feet) still cause the skinned area to get dirty from contacting the area the feathers were previously touching. I spray it off with a hose after, but there's got to be a better way.

laying on a table (tied to one end by its feet) still cause the skinned area to get dirty from contacting the area the feathers were previously touching. I spray it off with a hose after, but there's got to be a better way.
I lay it on a "table" made with sawhorses and a couple of 2x8's. The feet are not tied. I don't worry about it getting dirty from the feathers touching anything, just spray it off after skinning is complete.

Back
Top Bottom