Anyone know the difference

Pekin747

Songster
Feb 20, 2019
Ireland
I think I have a fair idea but I just want to know for certain a heavy breed is duel purpose so say for eggs and meat like the bramhas and wyandottes ect
and a light breed would be just for laying so ur rir BlackRock bluebells
What category does leghorns and Sussex go into cause Ik peopel who raise leghorns for meat and eggs aswell as sussexs and it sorta throw me off

I think I have a fair idea but I just want to know for certain a heavy breed is duel purpose so say for eggs and meat like the bramhas and wyandottes ect
and a light breed would be just for laying so ur rir BlackRock bluebells
What category does leghorns and Sussex go into cause Ik peopel who raise leghorns for meat and eggs aswell as sussexs and it sorta throw me off
Any chicken can be eaten. It's a matter of feed conversion. Not many people want to put $20 of feed into a chicken that dresses out at 4 pounds. The birds considered dual purpose get large relatively fast and will also lay a decent amount of eggs.
These birds don't grow nearly as fast as cornish crosses but still faster than other breeds. However, many people breed their chickens for replacement pullets and keep the cockerels in a grow out pen until they are large enough to process. That time is typically around 5 or 6 months.

Any chicken can be eaten. It's a matter of feed conversion. Not many people want to put $20 of feed into a chicken that dresses out at 4 pounds. The birds considered dual purpose get large relatively fast and will also lay a decent amount of eggs.
These birds don't grow nearly as fast as cornish crosses but still faster than other breeds. However, many people breed their chickens for replacement pullets and keep the cockerels in a grow out pen until they are large enough to process. That time is typically around 5 or 6 months.
Okay so ur faster growing birds r heavy breeds and ur slow growing birds like hybrids and leghorns r light breed

Okay so ur faster growing birds r heavy breeds and ur slow growing birds like hybrids and leghorns r light breed

I think it also has to do with adult bird size. Heavy breeds always seemed bigger in general. I'm not sure what the cut off is between the two.

Back
Top Bottom