Anything to be concerned about?

MadelineintheMountains

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2023
Hi y'all,

My one year old Salmon Favorelle has been looking kind of rough lately. She is acting completely normal and still laying eggs daily. However, she seems to have a bald patch under/near her beak. I also have noticed black spots on her skin as well. I thought they were just dirt (She loves to dunk her whole face in water and get a nice muddy beard going) but I wasn't able to brush it away. I haven't tried to scrub at them only because I want to be sure of what they are before I treat anything. I lifted up her feathers and didn't see any lice or mites. But I'm going off of internet pictures that are the worst case scenario. She does have some frostbite on her comb from December that has never healed but never gotten worse. We had a ventilation issue that's now fixed. My chickens don't put their heads under their wings to sleep for whatever reason so if you have tips for that too!
The open beaked picture is from today. She has a little purple/red discoloration because I bribed her with blueberries for the photo. The more closed beak picture is from two weeks ago.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4587.jpeg
    IMG_4587.jpeg
    502.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4597.png
    IMG_4597.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
In the first picture, it looks like she has bubbles or foam in the corner of the eye. Is that what you saw? That can be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum, (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. It can cause gasping, sneezing, swollen eyelid, and lethargy. Her frostbitten comb looks to be healing.

It looks like the black specks are from being feather picked. I had a few faverolles, and they will stand around or sit on the roost and let others pull out their feathers. I love them, but they are meek.

In the first picture, it looks like she has bubbles or foam in the corner of the eye. Is that what you saw? That can be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum, (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. It can cause gasping, sneezing, swollen eyelid, and lethargy. Her frostbitten comb looks to be healing.

It looks like the black specks are from being feather picked. I had a few faverolles, and they will stand around or sit on the roost and let others pull out their feathers. I love them, but they are meek.
I didn't even notice the eyes! But you're completely right. I'll look into that.
Her sister died from a respiratory illness at a few weeks old so it wouldn't surprise me.
They are meek! This is my first experience with this breed. We love her anyway though.
Thanks for the advice!

I didn't even notice the eyes! But you're completely right. I'll look into that.
Her sister died from a respiratory illness at a few weeks old so it wouldn't surprise me.
They are meek! This is my first experience with this breed. We love her anyway though.
Thanks for the advice!
Did you treat her sister with an antibiotic when she had the respiratory infection? If so, with what? You can flush the eye with saline, and apply Terramycin eye ointment twice a day. Tylosin powder can be put in the water.

Back
Top Bottom