Pics
I definitely have issues with places that are "pet-friendly, but they have to be under # pounds." Why is size their criteria? By that logic, they're fine with a small dogs who are not house trained, not spayed or neutered, and yap all day. It should be more about you as a responsible pet owner than just the size of the animal.

Years ago, I had to move from the country into an apartment (it had a small, private fenced yard in back) and brought my 65lb Lab/German shepherd mix, even though technically she was over the size limit. When we were going over the rental agreement, the manager wanted to know the size of my dog and I said, "she's a Lab mix, she's kind of medium," and quickly whipped out her spay certificate, her vaccination records, and her diploma from obedience class, to redirect the conversation away from her size and towards my responsibility as a pet owner. The manager couldn't have snatched the "non-refundable pet-deposit" check out of my hand any faster, and there were never any issues about my dog even after the manager saw how big she was.

I definitely have issues with places that are "pet-friendly, but they have to be under # pounds." Why is size their criteria? By that logic, they're fine with a small dogs who are not house trained, not spayed or neutered, and yap all day. It should be more about you as a responsible pet owner than just the size of the animal.

Years ago, I had to move from the country into an apartment (it had a small, private fenced yard in back) and brought my 65lb Lab/German shepherd mix, even though technically she was over the size limit. When we were going over the rental agreement, the manager wanted to know the size of my dog and I said, "she's a Lab mix, she's kind of medium," and quickly whipped out her spay certificate, her vaccination records, and her diploma from obedience class, to redirect the conversation away from her size and towards my responsibility as a pet owner. The manager couldn't have snatched the "non-refundable pet-deposit" check out of my hand any faster, and there were never any issues about my dog even after the manager saw how big she was.
That's SUCH a good strategy!

Yeah I totally agree!!! Makes no sense to me!! Especially since like you said, so many small dogs are yappy, untrained, biters, whatever else, and it seems like they’d be way worse in an apartment than a giant but well trained, quiet, calm dog.

I love that story though!! That’s amazing!! I’ve heard some places are starting to give discounts now or be more willing to accept them if they have the CGC (Canine Good Citizen) certificate.

Back
Top Bottom