Applying Elector PSP in cold weather

Not sure if giving them a 'soak' with dawn will help much if at all...
....but it's pretty darn risky to get a chicken soaking wet in this weather.

You should be able to get permethrin dust at TSC...ask for it if you can't find it.
Dusting in winter is better than anything wet.

I already posted this but If you want to bathe your birds, every over-the-counter (OTC) treatment for head lice contains either pyrethrins (Rid or Triple X) or permethrin (Nix). They are effective treatment. Both only kill live pests, not the pests eggs. Also I would recommend spraying all of the coops. I personally use permethrin. It's just as effective as Elector PSP as far as I'm concerned but much more cost effective. I spray all of my coops thoroughly, every crack and crevice, everywhere and repeat for at least 3 weeks because it does not kill the pests eggs. The bonus is there is no egg withdrawal period. DE as far as I'm concerned is useless. I have tried it. I also use poultry dust. Primarily I use it in the nest boxes. I have tried a lot of different things. I use permethrin. It works. If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin dust, the premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. Good luck...

Not sure if giving them a 'soak' with dawn will help much if at all...
....but it's pretty darn risky to get a chicken soaking wet in this weather.

You should be able to get permethrin dust at TSC...ask for it if you can't find it.
Dusting in winter is better than anything wet.
I already posted this but If you want to bathe your birds, every over-the-counter (OTC) treatment for head lice contains either pyrethrins (Rid or Triple X) or permethrin (Nix). They are effective treatment. Both only kill live pests, not the pests eggs. Also I would recommend spraying all of the coops. I personally use permethrin. It's just as effective as Elector PSP as far as I'm concerned but much more cost effective. I spray all of my coops thoroughly, every crack and crevice, everywhere and repeat for at least 3 weeks because it does not kill the pests eggs. The bonus is there is no egg withdrawal period. DE as far as I'm concerned is useless. I have tried it. I also use poultry dust. Primarily I use it in the nest boxes. I have tried a lot of different things. I use permethrin. It works. If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin dust, the premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. Good luck...

Hello all thank you for being so helpful so my TSC doesn’t have it or at least that’s what the guy said he sounded sure but unsure. Anyway my farm supply does luckily I’m on my way to get it now.
@aart ya it’s terrible I would never put them back outside all wet we have a brooder/ baby area we’re finishing up in our basement wall to floor chicken wire all enclosed etc. I was going to put them there. But now that I have the dust that’s definitely the better option.
@cmom thank you so much for the information we have 2 lbs of the dust coming and also the liquid with a sprayer. It’s 6 degrees today but supposedly tomorrow it’s going to be 45? I don’t know but I’m hoping I can just take out the old hay tonight dust some and then put new hay and do a really good cleaning tomorrow because if I spray anything it’s gonna freeze or it won’t dry.
I’m 99% sure it’s NFM from the info you gave me @aart and my own research we discovered them on the girls during the day. Infesting the feathers by the vent. I looked with a flashlight in the coop couldn’t see anything I’ll inspect more when I clean it in a bit.
The girls were plucking feathers and one of my geese thought they were fighting so he started yelling and tried to break it up. Thank goodness for Waffles or I may not have known yet.
So I’m hoping it’s NFM because form what I read red roost are harder to get rid of. I’ll keep everyone updated and also post pictures when we do treatment.
Thank you so much this is my first run in with this but now I’ll be prepared in the future at least.

Wow so they are NFM my top hen Hazel had none, Marge had a lot of actual feather loss not not many mites. It was Agatha and Winnie who had the infestation.
Winnie has an ungodly amount. It was so horrifying she is white and she had just black mounds of mites by her vent and under it was so terrible I can’t believe I let that happen I’m shocked she could walk around. Agatha also had a lot but not as many as Winnie. I cleaned the coops and burned the hay. I put so much permethrin that I used half the container on her. I will treat her again in a few days honestly because there were so many.
Thank you for the advice everyone. This is is terrible and I will be sure to check my girls all of the time so this never happens again.
I don’t have photos because I was doing it alone as my hubby needed to help a friend. But Winnie’s looked a little less worse than the attached picture.

Attachments

• F59FC3D4-8EFE-470D-AE39-1E91FBDEB695.jpeg
    F59FC3D4-8EFE-470D-AE39-1E91FBDEB695.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 9
I had some birds that were severely infested. I thought they were molting because of the time of the year but they weren't getting their feathers back in when I discovered they were loaded with mites. The first thing I tried was DE. The birds weren't improving and still had mites. I first discovered them in only one coop but eventually found them on birds in another coop. I dusted the birds and the coops with the DE and no improvement. I did use some seven dust that I had but it was almost gone but it did help. I also bathed the worst and it did help. The birds actually seemed to enjoy their baths. I did some research and came up with permethrin. I'm pretty sure the wild birds brought them into their coop. I used the dust on the birds and in their nest boxes and sprayed inside of the coops, every crack and crevice, on and under the roosts, ceiling, walls, floors, everywhere the mites could hide. I did clean out the coop before I sprayed. I use pine shavings in my coops. Since it so cold you can spread the dust around and dust the birds well. Wear special clothing including a mask and gloves. I did a weekly spraying for awhile of all of my coops and put permethrin dust in the nest boxes, originally sprayed the birds getting under the wings and worked it through their feathers with gloves which you can also do with the dust. Slowly the birds began to recover and get their feathers back in. I think if I hadn't treated with the permethrin when I did I probably would have lost some birds to the mites. The birds were in bad condition but are now beautiful again. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom