Are 110V float switches safe to use outside of a sump pump?

chickensahoy96

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 26, 2012
I'm planning on putting a big 50 gallon water trough in my duckhouse to use as a pool. It would have a motorized drain valve like this that would run on a timer so that every afternoon it drains and gets flushed out until it closes and the pump shuts off when full. I figured out everything at this point except the float switch because I have seen a couple like this that would do the job (turn on when low, and off when full), but I am worried about a potential shock hazard if that thing is in the water with my ducks and even my hands occasionally. The two alternatives is to let water always drain out through an overflow (similar to a sink) or set the pump on a timer. If I set the pump on a timer it would potentially become out of sync with the drain valve's timer and not rinse the trough for a couple of minutes until it closes. Decisions Decisions.

1684040975980.png

If you have potential Electric shock concerns,, I'm not going to tell you that it wont happen. Not likely to happen is not same as WILL NOT HAPPEN.
Option to try,,,,,, is having a switch operated by a float on a long rod. This way switch is lets say 5 feet above the surface of tub water. Switch does not come in contact with water at all. Just operates pond pump on demand.
I do like your idea of refilling your tub with fresh pond water on a daily basis:thumbsup

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom