Are backyard chickens allowed in Livonia Mi

Danieljames021

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Are backyard chickens allowed in Livonia Michigan? I'm finding a lot of conflicting information on here. Some people are saying they have them and are allowed, others are saying they have been ticketed for having chickens. Does anyone know the real answer? If not allowed, does the right to farm act protect people who have chickens in Livonia?

Thanks,
Dan

Hey! I live in Livonia,MI, and I have 5 Americana chickens! You are allowed to have them, but no roosters, and youre not allowed to have like, a farm, ( someplace where you breed the chickens. ) I just told my neighbors, just incase they found out and might get them kicked out, but I give small amounts of eggs out, and its the perfect bribe! I love my girls, n they jus celebrated their 1st bday, so I know im gonna hav em for a long time! I hope you get chickens now!

yippiechickie.gif

americana-lover, I'm certainly no expert, but have been trying to understand the Michigan Right to Farm Act (MRTFA) for about a year now.

My understanding is that if you are happy with the provisions of your city ordinance (a certain number of hens, no roosters, no sales), then you should just keep to those rules and be happy with your chickens.

However, some local ordinances in Michigan do not permit chickens, or roosters, or bees, or some other agricultural animal. People who want to keep these animals in areas that restrict them can use the state-level, MRTFA law to win protection to keep their animals. In a nutshell, the MRTFA protects your right to keep farm animals in Michigan without regard to local ordinances or zoning laws if you meet three requirements:

1. Establish a farm operation (keep chickens)

2. Develop a commercial aspect to your farm (sell eggs, chicks, feathers, compost, etc. to friends, neighbors, farm market etc.)

3. Follow good management practices (the rules are called GAAMPS, but are just reasonable attempts to keep a clean operation)

I really encourage you to check out the MRTFA thread if you're at all interested.

Back
Top Bottom