Are Cochins Lazy?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I have four Cochins in my four-month-old flock. It’s my first time with them, and I love them. I think they are my new favorite breed. I know they are pretty laid back birds, but also they tend to be lazy? Or maybe they tire easily? I’ve got one rooster and three hens, and they are always the last ones in and out. They got their first free range time today, and I noticed them laying down and roosting on things a lot after a while, while everyone else was still foraging. They’re perfectly healthy…they just seem a little lazy. I have four roosters in that group (two are moving out soon), but the Cochin rooster shows absolutely no rooster-like behavior. He’s very laid-back, while the other three rule the roost. They are probably my most docile chickens. I never see them challenging the other birds.

Just wondered if it was breed specific…and it’s fine with me if they are a little lazy. Next time I get chicks that is probably what I’ll get more of! I just love them.

My cochins are not necessarily "lazy", per se. But they love to jump in my lap and lay there for a while, if you count that as lazy. I certainly don't.
I LOVE my cochins. I have lots: buff cochins, blue cochins, black cochins, x cochins, etc.
They are an amazing breed. They definitely don't lay a lot of eggs, but their personality is just great. Each one has a different personality. They always are the first to run up to me when I give them treats, and they love to free range all day long.

My cochins are not necessarily "lazy", per se. But they love to jump in my lap and lay there for a while, if you count that as lazy. I certainly don't.
I LOVE my cochins. I have lots: buff cochins, blue cochins, black cochins, x cochins, etc.
They are an amazing breed. They definitely don't lay a lot of eggs, but their personality is just great. Each one has a different personality. They always are the first to run up to me when I give them treats, and they love to free range all day long.
That’s great! I really have fallen in love with them, and lll probably end up with all types. Mine are all black now.

I have read that the standard Cochins can be a bit on the lazier side and you have to watch their diet cuz they can get a bit “heavy” if you let them haha. I haven’t considered mine lazy exactly but they definitely aren’t as driven to forage constantly like a couple of my other birds. I think it’s also why they make a great backyard chicken breed, they’re pretty content with containment as long as they have food, water and a comfy coop! 😄

I have three bantam Cochins, and I wouldn't say they are lazy, as they roost up on the high perches, but I would consider mine "lazy" when they are brooding. ::barnie They sit, and sit, and sit. That is why they make great brooders..... Mine don't have the desire to escape their enclosure, which is great if you want to avoid something having roast Cochin for dinner. :lol:

Attachments

• image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
I have to say, I tried to get the chickens to eat mealworms out of my hand today, and one of my Cochin hens was the only one to be brave enough (besides my dopey barred rock roosters who think they are the boss of everything). I think this is definitely the start of a new favorite breed!

Back
Top Bottom