Are dominique bantam and Buff orpington Bantam good layer?

Chickenlover20

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
I want to order more bantams, like RIR bantams, Buff orpington, Dominiques, Barred Rock bantams, and Leghorn bantams.
Are they good layer? We just want to get more bantams not standards anymore, because we have no more room for the standards.
My standards just keep growing bigger and bigger. we also have 7 ducks and 6 bantams.
Bantams save alot of money on grains than my standards does. my gosh they are so pig and eating all of the grains in 2-3 days.

I do love them, but just spending more money on them, and my bantams doesnt eat that much. I have 3 silkies and 3 Nankin, So I decided to buy 10 Dominique bantam, 10 Buff Orpington bantam, 10 RIR bantam, and 5 silver sebright.
I know sebright isnt good layer. I just get them for the show and pet.

I hope you could help me out.

I had four silkies ( sold one yesterday to a guy looking for a broody hen to hatch eggs) and one bantam EE. As long as they ain't broody they lay 3-4 eggs a week. It seems like they lay for a month then go broody for a month. I allowed two to hatch eggs and once the chicks got to about 4 weeks the hen started to lay again. I would love to have a couple bantam Dominique to breed with my Bantam RIR rooster. Bantam sexlinks would sale like crazy.

Last edited:
I had four silkies ( sold one yesterday to a guy looking for a broody hen to hatch eggs) and one bantam EE. As long as they ain't broody they lay 3-4 eggs a week. It seems like they lay for a month then go broody for a month. I allowed two to hatch eggs and once the chicks got to about 4 weeks the hen started to lay again. I would love to have a couple bantam Dominique to breed with my Bantam RIR rooster. Bantam sexlinks would sale like crazy.
So, if i breed the dominique with RIR its will be a sexlink chicks?

If its actually sexlink, they probably will be a great layer.

Quote: It would give you Black Sexlinks. White rock bantams and a RIR bantam would give you Red Sexlinks, in theory. But the base colors would have to be true and if so they would lay really good until they went broody. It seems like the word broody is often followed by bantam.
lol.png

It would give you Black Sexlinks. White rock bantams and a RIR bantam would give you Red Sexlinks, in theory. But the base colors would have to be true and if so they would lay really good until they went broody. It seems like the word broody is often followed by bantam.
lol.png
Oh! I would try make some! :)

hopefully they will be good layer.

Back
Top Bottom