Are drakes unsafe for young ducklings?

PoultryAndPets

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2023
Our drake has been somewhat of a bodyguard while our duck has been raising her ducklings, but when I entered their pen, I saw the drake shoving and pushing the ducklings away from the food bowl, getting more violent each time. Is this something I should be worried about? We've separated the drake from the ducklings for now, but I'm wondering whether it was just the drake teaching the ducklings a lesson, or showing his dominance. This is my first time raising ducklings from eggs, so advice is welcomed. 🦆

Your drake needs to be removed from the mama and her ducklings, Drakes can be unpredictable some are fine with ducklings others will injure or kill them. Don't take a chance. How old are they and do your ducks live in a pen or do the free range? If in a pen I'd make a separate area for mama and ducklings or place the drake there. The ducklings will need to have a way to keep out of dads way.

Your drake needs to be removed from the mama and her ducklings, Drakes can be unpredictable some are fine with ducklings others will injure or kill them. Don't take a chance. How old are they and do your ducks live in a pen or do the free range? If in a pen I'd make a separate area for mama and ducklings or place the drake there. The ducklings will need to have a way to keep out of dads way.
Our ducklings are around 3 weeks of age, and they live in a 15 metre by 10 metre enclosure, though the drake is let out during the daytime.

Usually at 3 weeks my mama has her ducklings integrated into the flock but mine are not penned they have half acre fenced property to be in so they can pretty much stay out of the drake way. At that age, they are not left out inside a coop with dad at night though I have the coop set up so I can do separations if needed. Of course I can only share what has worked for me. But if your seeing your drake being aggressive i would not take a chance that it may become worse.

Our ducklings are around 3 weeks of age, and they live in a 15 metre by 10 metre enclosure, though the drake is let out during the daytime.
Daddy Drake needs to be in a dog crate at night so that he cant harm those ducklings. Keep Mama and ducklings in the pen during the day and send Daddy Drake out of his crate and pen, free-ranging. I dont raise ducklings, I rescued and rehab ducklings and ducks. I dont mix ducklings with adult drakes before 4 months and only then if I cant rehome or release and I am getting crowded. My own flock are drakes that cannot be released: I wouldnt let ducklings near them!!

Back
Top Bottom