Are geese as "hissy" as ganders? Edited to include PICS!

kimberly35042

Songster
11 Years
Oct 23, 2009
Central Alabama
I have a lovely 6 pack of geese, a saddleback seb and 5 playmates shipped from Holderreads in May.

Holderreads sent 2 blue americans, 2 lavender americans and an embden. All lovely beautiful birds. The ones that I suspect are geese have each hissed at the farm dog.

I know its possible that Holderreads didn't send American "pairs", however, these adolescents "look" like pairs with one dominant gander (a blue) with thicker head and neck, larger overall and always keeping an alert eye out for the flock. Head is always up, but he walks behind the others, never in front.

His "mate", a very petite "goosey" looking goose is shy and the only one that won't take food from my hand. "She" surprised me yesterday by approaching me and the dog after the others had walked away and hissed and threatened. I got big and told her that wouldn't do, but my question is:

Do the young geese do that? Or do I need to consider I have a bunch of ganders??

Thanks!!
Kim

from L-R, Blue Am. gander?, saddleback seb (no clue), Lavender Am. Goose?, Blue Am. Goose? and embden (no idea?)

43389_dscn6751.jpg

and the lavender Gander? strolls into the picture -- on the right

43389_dscn6756.jpg

Last edited:
Both genders can hiss, it's a warning. I find the males more curious, less fearful in general than the females.OTOH it's the ganders who will challenge you:pop

My goose tends to let the ganders handle any defense, but she can certainly hiss if she is in the mood to hiss. A dog near her will put her in the mood to hiss.

I'm beginning to worry it was more that the dog was near ME than her...she walked up to us to hiss
hmm.png

Any thoughts on the Americans? I tried vent sexing the nice sweet lavenders but didn't do too much. I didn't want to hurt them. I did find the vent but didn't see anything "pop out" when I mashed around a little....

It seems liek the Americans look like boys and girls. But not the seb or the embden, well maybe like girls. They have pretty refined heads.

Back
Top Bottom