Are honeysuckle chips OK for duck bedding?

RLB2

Hatching
Jan 27, 2021
Hi Everybody, long time reader, first time poster. Does anybody have any experience with, or knowledge of, using ground up honeysuckle as bedding for ducks? I know ducks should not eat the leaves or fruit from honeysuckle but is it OK to grind up the trunks and branches and use them for bedding? I have tons of honeysuckle on my property and a mountain of bushes that I cut a year ago and am hoping to grind them up and use them for bedding and mulch for their pen, but I need to make sure this is safe for my ducks first.

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Everybody, long time reader, first time poster. Does anybody have any experience with, or knowledge of, using ground up honeysuckle as bedding for ducks? I know ducks should not eat the leaves or fruit from honeysuckle but is it OK to grind up the trunks and branches and use them for bedding? I have tons of honeysuckle on my property and a mountain of bushes that I cut a year ago and am hoping to grind them up and use them for bedding and mulch for their pen, but I need to make sure this is safe for my ducks first.

Thanks,
Rob
Hello, and welcome to BYC!!! :welcome

Honeysuckle chips should be okay as long as they don't eat the chips.

Thanks,
Rob

Also, make sure there are no sharp sticks sticking out because ducks can easily injure their feet.

I don't know anything about honey suckle chips, but if they have a strong scent I wouldn't use them. I know veterinarians that recommend not using cedar chips for birds (or even pet rodents) because the aromatic oils in the wood can be damaging to their sensitive respiratory systems.

I also agree with @DucksAreBest that the chips would optimally be small and soft for delicate duck feet.

Back
Top Bottom