Are kangals good LGDs?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I was looking into LGD breeds so I’m prepared when I get one- I found Kangals and they seem like my ideal LGD with a bite for a of around 740 PSI and their massive size but I can’t seem to find many cons or really much information on them at all. Does anyone have info on this breed? Are they even LGD certified?

I was looking into LGD breeds so I’m prepared when I get one- I found Kangals and they seem like my ideal LGD with a bite for a of around 740 PSI and their massive size but I can’t seem to find many cons or really much information on them at all. Does anyone have info on this breed? Are they even LGD certified?
I know a YouTube channel that has three kangals they use for their goats. They're called the Raventree Ranch.

Turkish sheep dogs! I don't know anything about LGD certifications but when I lived in Turkey the neighbors had several of them that often came over visiting. They use them to guard the sheep flocks from wolves and other predators. They can be quite vicious when attacking a threat. But all the ones I met were very friendly and pretty even tempered however I was properly introduced to them and they knew I was not a threat. They are quite large and very strong but from what I understand they are fairly easy to train and very gentle with and protective of whatever they are guarding, the neighbors kids used to ride them like ponies. LOL. They often work in pairs when guarding a sheep herd. I think they're exceptionally pretty and if I was going to get a dog this would be high on my list. They can be prone to hip problems as many large dogs are. They have a pretty heavy coat so you can expect to have to do quite a bit of brushing. In spite of the heavy coat they do well in hot or cold weather.

I've never heard the term "lgd-certified", but Kangals are certainly considered a primo LGD breed. I have never had one, but would take one in a heartbeat if the opportunity ever arises. Since you say the breed sounds like the perfect breed for you, it probably will be. I really like what i read and hear about them too. Hopefully someone with direct experience owning Kangals will respond. If you get one yourself, please update this thread!

Turkish sheep dogs! I don't know anything about LGD certifications but when I lived in Turkey the neighbors had several of them that often came over visiting. They use them to guard the sheep flocks from wolves and other predators. They can be quite vicious when attacking a threat. But all the ones I met were very friendly and pretty even tempered however I was properly introduced to them and they knew I was not a threat. They are quite large and very strong but from what I understand they are fairly easy to train and very gentle with and protective of whatever they are guarding, the neighbors kids used to ride them like ponies. LOL. They often work in pairs when guarding a sheep herd. I think they're exceptionally pretty and if I was going to get a dog this would be high on my list. They can be prone to hip problems as many large dogs are. They have a pretty heavy coat so you can expect to have to do quite a bit of brushing. In spite of the heavy coat they do well in hot or cold weather.
I live in an area with a lot of bear raids- grizzly and black alike. Foxes, lynxes and occasional wolves.
Moose will try to raid barns as well for hay and such… so I’m going for some sort of big dog. I do plan to have very reinforced fencing and such but bears will be bears.

I’ll look into them! Thank you

I've never heard the term "lgd-certified", but Kangals are certainly considered a primo LGD breed. I have never had one, but would take one in a heartbeat if the opportunity ever arises. Since you say the breed sounds like the perfect breed for you, it probably will be. I really like what i read and hear about them too. Hopefully someone with direct experience owning Kangals will respond. If you get one yourself, please update this thread!
It won’t be for a few years so I might forget 😂 or sooner… it takes a real long time to find good property here 🤦 just need to find what I need to look for now because breeders are hard to find for breeds like that

I live in an area with a lot of bear raids- grizzly and black alike. Foxes, lynxes and occasional wolves.
Moose will try to raid barns as well for hay and such… so I’m going for some sort of big dog. I do plan to have very reinforced fencing and such but bears will be bears.

I’ll look into them! Thank you
If you're dealing with bears, wolves and other larger animals you should probably get a pair of kangals so they can back each other up.

Back
Top Bottom