Are my chickens show quality?

Thataussielady

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Queensland, Australia
I have only a few purebred chickens and some chicks and although I do breed them professionally, I am thinking about entering a few in a local fair. For now though I am wondering if anyone knows the age in which you can determine if a hen is show quality. It really is only for fun and even if they aren't show quality i'll probably enter them anyway. If some of my chickens are at the correct age I'll put a few pictures of the ones I'm planning on showing. Thank you

You can begin telling if a chick is show quality within a few weeks of hatching. By that time, obvious disqualifications will sometimes be noticeable (for example, wrong type of comb, etc). However, you have to wait for at least a couple more months to really be sure. When they have their adult feathers in (5-7 months), you can really tell their quality. Some birds take longer, and you can't tell what they are really going to look like until later. Others develop earlier, and you know that they are show quality sooner. Ideally, you want to show chickens at least five months old. Younger than that, and they may not have their feathers in or will lose to a more mature bird.

I'd definitely post photos! I'd be happy to help you find out if your birds are show quality, and I'm sure others on this forum would too.

Thank you for you help. I have five I want to show. (This post is probably going to be long)

This is my 7 1/2 month old D'uccle bantam pullet. I wasn't planning on putting her up on here as she is only from a feed store.

2. This is my pekin bantam, April. She is around 10 weeks now but we got her from a breeder (not professional) When she was only 3 weeks. I have checked her over and she doesn't seem to have any faults.

3. This is my rooster, Rapha. We recently got him from a breeder when he was 6 weeks, but now he's 10 weeks. He's a silver laced bantam Wyandotte. I had to get assistance to catch him. Also, today was a big day as we heard him crow for the first time.

4. On to our newest arrivals. The first one is Ginny, our golden laced Wyandotte standard.
The second one is Honey, our silkie bantam. They are both from the same breeder, and are around 3 weeks.

I'm not too sure if you'll be able to tell with Ginny and Honey since they are only young.
Because these chickens are basically my children, i see them as being perfect, so tell me an honest answer. You don't have to sugar coat it :lol:

thank you.

Last edited:
Of all your birds, the one I think that is most show-quality is your D'Uccle. She is the most mature, and seems to have many of the breed characteristics and decent coloring. I'm not sure what color April is supposed to be, but she's a little young to really know how good she is. If she's supposed to be the buff variety, she's too light right now. Her tail, for now, seems a little narrow. I wouldn't show her for maybe another month (by then she should have filled out more). Rapha is too young to tell for sure. But, as of now, I think that he needs better lacing. The other two birds are too young as well. I'm not seeing any disqualifications, though.

I'm more familiar with American standards, so I don't know if there's a difference between how Australian birds are judged and how American birds are judged. So, I may not be correct-- this is just from my point of view.

Of all your birds, the one I think that is most show-quality is your D'Uccle. She is the most mature, and seems to have many of the breed characteristics and decent coloring. I'm not sure what color April is supposed to be, but she's a little young to really know how good she is. If she's supposed to be the buff variety, she's too light right now. Her tail, for now, seems a little narrow. I wouldn't show her for maybe another month (by then she should have filled out more). Rapha is too young to tell for sure. But, as of now, I think that he needs better lacing. The other two birds are too young as well. I'm not seeing any disqualifications, though.

I'm more familiar with American standards, so I don't know if there's a difference between how Australian birds are judged and how American birds are judged. So, I may not be correct-- this is just from my point of view.

I would agree that the D'uccle is probably the best out of my group as she does look a lot like the breed standard. April is supposed to be buff but I have wondered if she is too light. I have compared Ginny to other golden laced wyandottes of the same age, and don't think she'll have much lacing, but I'll wait and see. I checked honey over last night and she has the characteristic black eyes, no green on her beak, from what I can see, the right comb so so do have a bit of hope for her being show quality. I don't show them professionally, and I am only entering them in a local fair.

It is coming in one month so I will probably show my d'uccle and MAYBE April as she isn't show quality but she does look the best out of my other chickens. What's the worst that could happen. Like I said it only for fun and It doesn't really matter if I get disqualified.
Also from what I've seen I don't think there is much of a difference between American and Australian standards.

Sorry this was a long reply, and thank you for an honest answer.

Back
Top Bottom