Are my ducklings half Cayuga and half mallard?

May 6, 2022
Hello, recently I have hatched two ducklings named Delta and Dynasty. I don't know their parents because I found their eggs at my neighborhood lake abandon and I hatched them in a homemade incubator. They are now 4 weeks old and have got some flight feathers. As they have got their flight feathers they have gotten a brown underside, a black topside, a white chest, and are starting to get a green head. I think they are mix breed between the female Cayuga and male bibbed mallard at my lake. If you know what mix they are please let me know. And can a Cayuga and mallard mix fly at all, like even just hover?

Attachments

• 20220504_180923.jpg
    20220504_180923.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220504_181325.jpg
    20220504_181325.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220504_181336.jpg
    20220504_181336.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 29
They are a mallard derived cross of some sort, and if part mallard may very well be able to fly - especially as young birds before they gain weight.
Thanks I appreciate the more information, anything I can learn about my ducklings will teach me how to treat them better.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens and well done with the rescue and homemade incubator!!!
Are you planning on keeping the ducklings?

You will find lots of information on secure duck coops/runs on this site. once you have ducklings through to their adult feathers, the biggest danger to them is predators. Foxes, raccoons, fishers, even domestic dogs. Hawks and owls can be a threat too. I have my ducks safely locked up for the night before dusk as there are grt horned owls in the trees very near my house.

In which state are you located? Some states have a page that often has local ducky news

Welcome to Backyard Chickens and well done with the rescue and homemade incubator!!!
Are you planning on keeping the ducklings?

You will find lots of information on secure duck coops/runs on this site. once you have ducklings through to their adult feathers, the biggest danger to them is predators. Foxes, raccoons, fishers, even domestic dogs. Hawks and owls can be a threat too. I have my ducks safely locked up for the night before dusk as there are grt horned owls in the trees very near my house.

In which state are you located? Some states have a page that often has local ducky news
I live in Texas and alright thanks

Whose going to feed them? Asking because they don’t have a mama duck to teach them how to survive in the wild. :(
It is a lake surrounded by people who feed the ducks vegetables, duck feed, and there is food in the lake too. I will check up on them every other day. There is also lots of ducks there they can socialize with to. Most of the ducks there any ways where released by their owners too. But, thanks for the concern for them

Back
Top Bottom