Are my neighbors attracting predators?

The term you are likely looking for is "attractive nuissance". and part of ownership involves keeping one's things on one's own property.

Not only are they increasing the local predator load, but they are putting your flock at risk of disease, when the corpses of the neighbor's birds are brought to your property.

An anonymous call to animal control might be in order - any chance you got pictures of the dead bird on your property? Evidence of that sort can help.

To be clear, while the birds are on their property, they are "free ranging" - none of your business. When the birds crosses the property line, it is "at large". Whole different set of rules applies.

Some people enjoy watching predators kill. If your neighbor is this sort of person, he/she isn't going to appreciate any suggestion to provide security for the chickens.

I was at a campground in AZ. The campground host put out quail feed behind his trailer so he could watch the coyotes come down the embankment every night to kill and eat their supper. He laughed about his clever entertainment.

Some people enjoy watching predators kill. If your neighbor is this sort of person, he/she isn't going to appreciate any suggestion to provide security for the chickens.

I was at a campground in AZ. The campground host put out quail feed behind his trailer so he could watch the coyotes come down the embankment every night to kill and eat their supper. He laughed about his clever entertainment.
The easiest method of keeping chickens is investing in a secure coop and a run, installing a camera and putting an electric fence around it all.(I'm putting a fence up now).If you'll do these 3 things it won't matter how many predators visit the the neighbors, they'll pass you by after getting zapped once.

Back
Top Bottom