Are our Chicks Cold?

SharonNLiveOak

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
My husband and I bought our first chicks this afternoon. We are brand new to all of this. They are older "chicks", I think. They are 6-8 weeks old and have some feathers. We have them in a room with a heater set to 90 degrees. They are huddled in a corner. Are they cold? Should we add a heat lamp? Are they still adjusting to their new digs since they just moved in this afternoon? Any insights from you experienced folk would be appreciated!

I would just use a heat lamp set up so that one area of their brooder consistently stays between 90 to 95 for their first week. Then decrease the temps about 5 degree's a week after that. That way they are able to move away from the heat as needed. Chicks don't need to constantly stay at 90 or 95 degree's, they just need an area that temp they can access to warm up when they need to.

No way are they cold! They're probably just scared in their new environment. They should be settled in the morning. If I were you, I'd set the chicks up with food and water and leave them alone for the rest of the night and check on them in the morning. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the insights. It really is wonderful for a newbie to be able to get such prompt advice from old pros.
smile.png

If they are that age they should be fine, you will usually start at 95 degree the first week then back off 5 degrees each week on the heat.. Until they are feathered out, give them a bit of time to get used to the new home.

if they are 8 weeks old they shouldn't be cold at 90 im not sure but i think thats the temp they should be at , at a day to a week old i have a heat lamp on my lil ones its about 80 85 they are a week or so old and they are fine i usually jus move it up as they get older but at 2 months i dont have a lamp on them if its not freezing out and ive never lost a chicken from being to cold. they are prlly just a little stressed from the move.

Back
Top Bottom