Are pullets' eggs normally thin shelled?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
My 24-week-old Light Sussex pullets started to lay a month ago so I put out crushed egg shells for them to eat on their own.
I was still giving them 19% broiler feed then.
Within a week though, I ran out of egg shells and three days later they started to lay soft shelled or thin shelled eggs.
So I gave them crushed egg shells and oyster shell right away. I also changed the feed to layer's.
But some of their egg shells are still a bit thin especially pale pink ones.
I wonder if my pullets are still lacking calcium or it's a pullet thing.
The oyster shells I can get here are quite big and I don't see them eating them that much.

I wonder if it'd be good to mix some egg or oyster shells in their treats such as cooked eggs.
Any thoughts?

Generally, if you offer oyster shells, free-choice, it is sufficient.
I feed my chickens Alflock , which is 2% calcium. I have layers, and non layer senior chickens. . I will occasionally add some oyster shells into their feed bowl. Most of that does not get consumed, but the feed pellets are gone. Oyster shells left behind. I just add more feed to that bowl next day. BTW,, I remove all feed from open area and store in metal can overnight. Don't want night time visitors making a dinner stop regularly.
I recycle all my egg shells by offering back to chickens also. I know many peeps dry, and bake, and then crush their egg shells. I simply drop on ground,, and step on them to break up. Chickens pick up at their own desire. Have been doing this way for over 20+ years with no negative issues.
I think that if you offer egg shells, and oyster shells in their feed should work. (small particles that they can choose to eat, or pass)
I don't think drying, and crushing into a fine powder, and adding that way would be good... That way you would be possibly introducing too much calcium into chickens' diet.
Chickens will not overdose on calcium, if it is free-choice.
All my chickens live long lives. My current oldest is over 10 years old now. Had one chicken pull 13 years a while ago. So,, whatever I'm doing must be OK. :thumbsup

Your pullets, as they grow/age , should start making stronger shells. They still need calcium to help their bones grow strong, growing.
I feel free-choice calcium is good regardless if you are feeding Layer 4% calcium feed. Chickens do know what they need,,,, (USUALLY) Some,, we just have to help along just a little:hugs

Generally, if you offer oyster shells, free-choice, it is sufficient.
I feed my chickens Alflock , which is 2% calcium. I have layers, and non layer senior chickens. . I will occasionally add some oyster shells into their feed bowl. Most of that does not get consumed, but the feed pellets are gone. Oyster shells left behind. I just add more feed to that bowl next day. BTW,, I remove all feed from open area and store in metal can overnight. Don't want night time visitors making a dinner stop regularly.
I recycle all my egg shells by offering back to chickens also. I know many peeps dry, and bake, and then crush their egg shells. I simply drop on ground,, and step on them to break up. Chickens pick up at their own desire. Have been doing this way for over 20+ years with no negative issues.
I think that if you offer egg shells, and oyster shells in their feed should work. (small particles that they can choose to eat, or pass)
I don't think drying, and crushing into a fine powder, and adding that way would be good... That way you would be possibly introducing too much calcium into chickens' diet.
Chickens will not overdose on calcium, if it is free-choice.
All my chickens live long lives. My current oldest is over 10 years old now. Had one chicken pull 13 years a while ago. So,, whatever I'm doing must be OK. :thumbsup

Your pullets, as they grow/age , should start making stronger shells. They still need calcium to help their bones grow strong, growing.
I feel free-choice calcium is good regardless if you are feeding Layer 4% calcium feed. Chickens do know what they need,,,, (USUALLY) Some,, we just have to help along just a little:hugs
Thank you.
I didn't think of the fact that pullets are stil growing and need calcium also for their body. I feel I don't have to worry too much about their eggs now.
I'll be giving them egg shells the way you do. Sounds much simpler. Also that way some chickens that are scared to go into the coop during the day because other chickens peck them will be able to eat more egg shells. Now I have crushed egg shells only in the coop in case they attract mice.

Now I have crushed egg shells only in the coop in case they attract mice.
I don't think egg shells is something that would attract mice. :idunno Mice would prefer the feed much more. That is reason to remove feed from open areas for night.
Chickens pick out the egg shells ,,, same as they pick up small stones/gravel for their grit, from the ground. These things have only mineral value.

My pullets had occasional soft shelled eggs for about a month or so, as their new systems were coming online. The eggs are still sometimes slightly thinner shelled, but much better now. I have layer pellets, but some seem to prefer the all flock food, and I have oyster shell on the side. They started laying at 16 weeks, and are now 6 mo. old.

Back
Top Bottom