Are these fertilized?

Owlalwaysbeme

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2023
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anybody thought that these eggs may be fertile and I wrong to think I might have a rooster hiding amongst my flock? Thank you 😊

Attachments

• IMG_9482.jpeg
    IMG_9482.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9477.jpeg
    IMG_9477.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9480.jpeg
    IMG_9480.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 13
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anybody thought that these eggs may be fertile and I wrong to think I might have a rooster hiding amongst my flock? Thank you 😊
Have you been hearing any crowing?
You could post photos of your chickens, and see if anyone on here can spot a male.

Yes, those do look like they have the bullseye pattern that is expected with fertile eggs. But some people do find bullseyes in all-hen flocks. I think @aart and @Painted Calls might be two people who have experience with that. So bullseye may not mean a male.

If you really can't tell, try incubating some eggs. If you get chicks growing in the eggs, then you definitely do have a male somewhere.

You could post photos of your chickens, and see if anyone on here can spot a male.

Yes, those do look like they have the bullseye pattern that is expected with fertile eggs. But some people do find bullseyes in all-hen flocks. I think @aart and @Painted Calls might be two people who have experience with that. So bullseye may not mean a male.

If you really can't tell, try incubating some eggs. If you get chicks growing in the eggs, then you definitely do have a male somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_9486.jpeg
    IMG_9486.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9485.jpeg
    IMG_9485.jpeg
    814.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9487.jpeg
    IMG_9487.jpeg
    635.3 KB · Views: 9

Those birds look female to me.

How many chickens do you have? How many eggs have you been getting each day? If you have a day when every bird lays an egg, that is a pretty good sign that all birds are female ;)
I have six birds and I get typically 3 to 4 eggs a day. They’re only two that I have not yet seen an egg from

I have six birds and I get typically 3 to 4 eggs a day. They’re only two that I have not yet seen an egg from
I think those ones are probably female as well, so the bullseye appearance must not really indicate fertility in this case. It's just a confusing thing that happens sometimes.

If you have no rooster(s) and have what appears to be a fertile egg, this is what's known as parthenogenesis reproduction.
It's fairly rarely seen by most people that raise chickens and I could bore you to death in telling you about it but here's a link that can explain it better than I can. Basically, asexual reproduction, snakes, lizards, birds, sharks are a few that can reproduce this way. http://www.biologyonline.com/dictionary/parthenogenesis

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom