Are they getting enough light??

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Since we house our ducks with our hens, everyone gets around the same amount of light each day. Ever since it started snowing, I've been leaving the coop door open for the ducks since they're the only ones coming out for free ranging time.
I was wondering since I leave it open from sunrise until dusk, if they're getting enough natural light shining inside?? We also have a light in the coop that I turn on at dusk until 10pm and then on again at 2am.

Since we house our ducks with our hens, everyone gets around the same amount of light each day. Ever since it started snowing, I've been leaving the coop door open for the ducks since they're the only ones coming out for free ranging time.
I was wondering since I leave it open from sunrise until dusk, if they're getting enough natural light shining inside?? We also have a light in the coop that I turn on at dusk until 10pm and then on again at 2am.
Do you mean enough light for laying?
Chickens slow down on egg production in the wintertime due to a combination of cold weather and less daylight.
For normal function, dawn until dusk should be plenty, as that is the natural amount of light that they would be getting in the wild.

Do you mean enough light for laying?
Chickens slow down on egg production in the wintertime due to a combination of cold weather and less daylight.
For normal function, dawn until dusk should be plenty, as that is the natural amount of light that they would be getting in the wild.
We have 3 layers right now plus our 2 ducks who are laying. I've been giving them light since around the end of fall

I was wondering since I leave it open from sunrise until dusk, if they're getting enough natural light shining inside?
Is this a people door or a chicken size pop-door.
If a pop-door, no. A people size door facing south, probably.
I only open the pop-door on my coops, faces north. Window's face east.
I turn on lights at 5 am and leave in coop light on all day. I don't add lights after sunset.
I agree with aart, more dark is needed.
Chickens should have 8 hours of dark, IMO.
I've never seen increased production over 13 hours of light, below that, yes it starts to drop. In June sunset is 8:30 here, so my chickens get up to 15 1/2 hours of light.
If I was looking for max egg production I would go for 15 hours of light.
Chickens respond best to warm spectrum lights, 2700 to 3000 K. Bright enough to read a newspaper in the darkest area of coop.
I use LEDs, 250 Lumens inside my small coops (18 and 22 square feet), and 800 Lumens outside.
20200827_060401_resized.jpg
20200829_061327_resized_1.jpg

GC

Is this a people door or a chicken size pop-door.
If a pop-door, no. A people size door facing south, probably.
I only open the pop-door on my coops, faces north. Window's face east.
I turn on lights at 5 am and leave in coop light on all day. I don't add lights after sunset.
I agree with aart, more dark is needed.
Chickens should have 8 hours of dark, IMO.
I've never seen increased production over 13 hours of light, below that, yes it starts to drop. In June sunset is 8:30 here, so my chickens get up to 15 1/2 hours of light.
If I was looking for max egg production I would go for 15 hours of light.
Chickens respond best to warm spectrum lights, 2700 to 3000 K. Bright enough to read a newspaper in the darkest area of coop.
I use LEDs, 250 Lumens inside my small coops (18 and 22 square feet), and 800 Lumens outside.View attachment 2530665View attachment 2530674
GC
People door. It gets really bright in the coop.
Normally when they free range, total hours add up to 20 hours of daylight. And as I said in my first post, a light in the coop is used since fall so it's always add extra daylight which is why they normally get 20 hours of light

Back
Top Bottom