Asil rooster

I have a real problem with my hens getting attacked by ravens and foxes. Even the occasional bald eagle trys to kill them. I only free range my birds because I hate locking them up. I was thinking maybe if I get a mean rooster it will defend them. Maybe an asil or white hackle. Can I get these breeds in the states? I heard they were illegal? Why?
You may as well make an offering if you got eagles coming at your birds. We all have geese out here and we've got good sized hawks, falcons, eagles, and owls. I'm only aware of one close call in a several years.

I have a real problem with my hens getting attacked by ravens and foxes. Even the occasional bald eagle trys to kill them. I only free range my birds because I hate locking them up. I was thinking maybe if I get a mean rooster it will defend them. Maybe an asil or white hackle. Can I get these breeds in the states? I heard they were illegal? Why?
You don't have to "lock them up" at night if the coop & run is predator proof.

The only type roosters that I have seen stand a chance protecting your hens against predators, ie hawks, eagles, foxes, cats, coyotes, or dogs are very large aggressive oriental game roosters over 10 lbs. O'Shamo, Malay, Belgian Liege nicknamed (hawk killer), very large Madagascar, Ga Noi, Brazilian, or a very large Asil(Aseel). But then you have to worry about these type of roosters killing your smaller standard sized hens when they try to breed them breaking their backs, or necks. You would have to get larger hens of these breeds, or larger standard size breeds like Cochins, Brahma's, Jersy giants, etc.

Back
Top Bottom