At what age did your drakes stop mating?

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Just curious really! We have 3 drakes who are at least 10 years old (they are in photos I have from March 2011) and they are Indian Runner X Mallard. They have outlived the rest of their siblings and live wild on our small lake. I heard they can live to be around 12 in some cases but that their urge to mate lessens over time?

Not looking to mate from them anyway, just interested! :)

Hello again @Miss Lydia, thanks for your reply. Our drakes are interested in the ladies and at least two of the three have mated with them (it's hard to tell two of them apart), although they don't spend most of their time with them interestingly enough. So far they are two separate groups but every now and then the drakes will catch up with them on the water, do the deed and then leave them alone again. The ladies were also in with a few drakes in the holding facility' in the week before I collected them.

I think at least one of the drakes, if not more, will die this year to be honest. I think they were likely hatched in 2010 and they are definitely slowing down... I am surprised they are still up for mating really!

It's nice to have them as long as we do, but makes me sad they are now in old age.

My last Muscovy drake was a month shy of 12 when he passed. His son is still going strong other than a limp from fighting with my gander. :rolleyes:
My gander is 14 so I guess we have old folks home for birds too.
You have such a nice place there for them. And probably not one snapping turtle. I always wanted a pond till I saw how snapping turtles were such a predator.

Wow, 14! That’s awesome! You are right in that it’s lovely to have them so long but that it’s tough to see them grow old in many ways. We also have horses and cats and that’s the same story really.

You are right that we have no snapping turtles and I feel extremely fortunate that my family have this land and pond. The field was a pea field farmed by my grandfather many years ago and the pond/lake was dug out by my father (well, he hired someone to do it) when I was very small, but then we had to dig it again in 2019 to clear it out. The water is fenced off and the surrounding land is for the horses. Currently we have quite a few visiting geese who graze the horse field.

Do you have any photos of your Muscovy ducks?
6BD909C3-0D62-4168-96FC-D9D64F77BF61.jpeg

Wow, 14! That’s awesome! You are right in that it’s lovely to have them so long but that it’s tough to see them grow old in many ways. We also have horses and cats and that’s the same story really.

You are right that we have no snapping turtles and I feel extremely fortunate that my family have this land and pond. The field was a pea field farmed by my grandfather many years ago and the pond/lake was dug out by my father (well, he hired someone to do it) when I was very small, but then we had to dig it again in 2019 to clear it out. The water is fenced off and the surrounding land is for the horses. Currently we have quite a few visiting geese who graze the horse field.

Do you have any photos of your Muscovy ducks? View attachment 2714405
This photo is like a fairy tale!

Back
Top Bottom