Ataxic pullet, help!

The extras should only make up about 10% or less of their diet, usually only once or twice a week, and not mixed in with their real food or they'll just pick out the tasty things and leave the formulated feed like i suspect she might have done.
I doubt it's the layer but it might be all the treats. Give her 1 400i.u Vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for about two weeks.
Nor a big problem, it happens all the time. she'll likely be fine in a week or two. :]
I went and found some of the recommended supplements this morning. So today is Day 1 on that regiment. This evening she is eating much more vigorously, though won’t touch any dry feed. I have to soak it. 🤦🏼‍♀️ And manage to “scoot” herself around to get to the broccoli greens I had laying out. Ate some of those. Right now she is actually maintaining sitting in an upright position and not falling over on her side. Though she easily seems to lose balance. She is looking around more and seems more inquisitive than before.

Hope this is working! 🙏🏻

Agree with @nuthatched ... Vitamin supplement and chick feed (higher in protein than layer , which is what she needs the added nutrition). Make a mash (feed + water) for her to eat, she seems to like it. You can add some boiled egg yolk (not the white) to the mash. Personally I would stop all "treats" only feed but that's me. IF anything wet the feed and give her the boiled egg yolk as a treat.

How are feet are the toes curled? Legs under her or splayed out?
You may want to make her a sling or chair so she can exercise her legs.

Image result for sling for chicken with broken leg

She is still about the same as the last update I gave. Not able to stand unsupported and certainly cannot walk. She can hop and kick hard though.

She is eating chick feed mash as she won’t eat it dry. Drinking. Have been giving vitamins daily. Electrolytes and probiotics in her water. No scratch, no worms or anything like that. I do try to take her out to get “dirt” time. I feel bad for her and wonder if she is lonely too. She likes to pick at my micro greens and eats some but it’s a tiny amount.

I did make her a sling though it hasn’t seemed to make any difference to her.

I have noticed she does better with her left wing/leg than her right. She often tries to stand like a flamingo with the right foot lifted and toes curled. If she sets it down, she goes cross legged or steps on her opposite foot. Again I have to support her for any of that as she cannot keep herself upright. She will nose dive right into the floor and flop over on her side.

Electrolytes & Probiotics won't help as much as a Vitamin regime ... Poultry Cell is a good multivitamin ... Keep her on the mash (moisten chick starter/grower) and mash a boiled egg yolk (not the white) into it.

She passed away today. She never got to the point of standing or being able to get upright. Unsure why she passed or what caused all of this. But if it was nutrition I have gone and corrected everything for the remaining birds. Everyone else seems in good spirits and health. 😞

She passed away today. She never got to the point of standing or being able to get upright. Unsure why she passed or what caused all of this. But if it was nutrition I have gone and corrected everything for the remaining birds. Everyone else seems in good spirits and health. 😞
I'm very sorry to hear that. Hopefully, your other girls will benefit from the vitamins. Take care.

Always sorry to hear when someone's efforts end like this. You did all you could. In future, when you lose a bird, know that you can send the remains to your state lab for a necropsy to determine cause of death, to be sure it wasn't anything hazardous to the rest of your flock. Just double wrap the bird in plastic and refrigerate - don't freeze - until you're ready to send it off. There are folks here who can tell you where and how to do that. I think Kiki is one of them. CASportpony may be another. Just put an @ symbol before a person's name (no space) and they will be tagged and respond when you need them. Again, I'm so sorry you lost your hen. I had hoped for a better outcome. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom