Attacked by dog

LayingLadies

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 8, 2012
CT
We have a pullet that was attacked by a dog. There is a very large wound, looks like it is mostly skin tear, nothing that deep. What do we do about the skin hanging off the wound?.
We've isolated her in the house and we are spraying her with vetericyn, which we've used on previous wounds, and it's worked wonders. I'm not sure if this wound is too large for it. The attack happened 2 days before I got home, so sewing her up doesn't seem an option at the moment, and again, the wound doesn't seem deep. Mostly, torn off skin, approx 2.5 in x 4 in. She seems to be handling it ok, she eats, drinks, and even laid an egg.
Feel bad for her, she seems to be a target, our last fox attack took a nickel size nip out of her thigh, and she was just recovered from that when this happened.
Thanks for any help, this site is full of amazing amounts of information and help

I'm glad it is not too deep. Putting the vetericyn on the wound a couple times a day should be helpful. It is a tough call when it is that much skin hanging off her. We have had a chicken with a flap on the head that we stitched who healed well and another with a gash on the side that was not quite so long who we put a stocking bandage over who did okay. It is hard to say if the flap will end up being dead tissue that will need to be dealt with later. Sorry I don't have a clear answer, but I thought if I responded it would at least increase the likelihood that someone else would come along and give you an answer.

Back
Top Bottom