Australorp roo crowing at 25 days old…is this normal?

Mara77

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
Hi everyone

Im brand new to chickens and have a couple questions.
Yesterday, one of the 6 chicks that I hatched decided it would be a good idea to start crowing when I went in to turn their lights on in the morning. He’s a 26 day old australorp. Is this normal?
I always suspected he was a rooster—actually, the more research I do the more I’m suspecting he’s not the only rooster of the 6 either. If he’s starting crowing will it inspire the other potential roos in the flock to start crowing too? They aren’t even a month old yet and our weather has been crappy to say the least here. I can’t put them outside yet and am a bit concerned.

It's hard to say what to expect with the others. Hormones can be weird at times. My first roo starting crowing at like 8 weeks and it actually sounded like a proper crow. On the other end of the spectrum, this gem was posted to this forum some time ago about a really young one attempting to "crow"

It's hard to say what to expect with the others. Hormones can be weird at times. My first roo starting crowing at like 8 weeks and it actually sounded like a proper crow. On the other end of the spectrum, this gem was posted to this forum some time ago about a really young one attempting to "crow"

Lol it was slightly more clear than that little guys attempt but mine’s definitely got some practicing to do before he’s any good at it. When i heard it yesterday it was early and I hadn’t had coffee, I figured maybe my ears were playing tricks on me but this morning he was a bit clearer and seemed quite proud of himself.
I’m very thankful that my family are deep sleepers!

Ok…so that made me jump watching it 😂. But I was suspecting one of mine being a roo and not sure what they would sound like. But it’s the only chick to get loud. But gets quite when I’m seen. I have hope….and they are only 2 weeks. 😮‍💨

Back
Top Bottom