Automatically filling a gravity waterer

For other people who use a nipple type or other trigger type watering tank that are prone to sticking or leaking and you want to limit the possibility of flooding the coop you can attach a fill hose to the tank and put a sprinkler (irrigation) timer on it so it only comes on for a few minutes every hour or when you want it to. That way if you have a sticking valve it will limit the amount of water that floods the coop but your birds will still get water.

For other people who use a nipple type or other trigger type watering tank that are prone to sticking or leaking and you want to limit the possibility of flooding the coop you can attach a fill hose to the tank and put a sprinkler (irrigation) timer on it so it only comes on for a few minutes every hour or when you want it to. That way if you have a sticking valve it will limit the amount of water that floods the coop but your birds will still get water.
Genius!!

Very Simple fix I use the same waterer with my birds.

Just get a float fill valve and drill a hole in the side of the waterer and adjust the float valve to the height you want. I attach mine directly to a hose. In your case just connect it to your tank with a hose.View attachment 3189228
This is GREAT! I will look tomorrow to see if I can find find a valve like that in town. Thank you so much!

1658075029137.png

One more question:

I originally got the idea when I saw this picture online. As I mentioned, I have two buckets also in the coop with horizontal nipples. Would it be easier/better for any reason to hook the rain barrel to one of those rather than the gravity-waterer?

View attachment 3189524
One more question:

I originally got the idea when I saw this picture online. As I mentioned, I have two buckets also in the coop with horizontal nipples. Would it be easier/better for any reason to hook the rain barrel to one of those rather than the gravity-waterer?
Yes, because then (assuming the lid is air tight), you aren't limited to maintaining a water level in the rain barrel no hichger than the top of the waterer.

Back
Top Bottom