Baby chick hatched last night but still lethargic this morning

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I've had this chick in the incubator for a couple days and wasn't sure it was going to come out since it was a staggered hatch and I lost the timeline. I was going to shut off the incubator but heard it inside the egg so I left it. It was pretty loud coming out and it popped out at 10pm last night. It's currently almost 10am, so 12 hours after it hatched and it looks kind of dead to me. I had another chick hatch in this incubator on Friday, it came out at 10am and by 6 or 7pm it was super chirpy and playful.

I'm going to give this chick some electrolytes with water. Is this normal? Anything else I can do?

Attachments

• PXL_20230711_163607141.jpg
    PXL_20230711_163607141.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 18
She's been chirping more and been more lively. I saw her peck at some food. I think she might have curled toes though. I'll check again tomorrow. Going to try and integrate her with her mama tonight like I did with the last chick.
Yeah her foot looks curled, you can make a chick shoe, just cut a triangle out of some plastic blister package, or something like a plastic lid from a yogurt cup, close to size of chicks foot, then some medical tape the foot flat to the little triangle piece you cut out. Leg doesn't really look splayed but the foot has some issues.
Oh and removed it after 36 hoursish I think.

I had success doing the method I mentioned.

Yeah her foot looks curled, you can make a chick shoe, just cut a triangle out of some plastic blister package, or something like a plastic lid from a yogurt cup, close to size of chicks foot, then some medical tape the foot flat to the little triangle piece you cut out. Leg doesn't really look splayed but the foot has some issues.
Oh and removed it after 36 hoursish I think.

I had success doing the method I mentioned.
I was going to use bandaids but I think the plastic might be better. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom